Orbit Bikes?

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
maxglide

Orbit Bikes?

Post by maxglide »

Their blurb says, Handbuilt in Sheffield, England. The postcode on Google street view shows no evidence of a bike shop, only a joke shop. Their Harrier Expedition though, has the 'look'. At £1,195 it looks like a good buy. Anyone have any experience with Orbit?
D363

Re: Orbit Bikes?

Post by D363 »

I sent them a question via their website a couple of weeks back, which got a reply that the email address was no longer in use ... that's as far as it went. There have been previous threads on this topic, but afaik nothing conclusive on the current setup.
maxcherry

Post by maxcherry »

I looked on Google maps and it shows the shop. Has it moved
since the pic was taken in 2014?

Old thread

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=61119
Honestly chaps, I'm a female!
maxglide

Post by maxglide »

I sent them a question via their website a couple of weeks back, which got a reply that the email address was no longer in use ... that's as far as it went.

Maybe they've done a Roberts - without informing their potential customers.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

You could try calling them? Yell.com has two entries

http://www.yell.com/ucs/UcsSearchAction ... 1746615182
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

They are certainly not the same people involved in Orbit from the 90's/early 00's although the images and blurb try to insinuate that they are.
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
bikes4two

Post by bikes4two »

This is one of those vague memory things, but I have a feeling (gleaned I think from speaking with JD Tandems of Gargrave) that the Orbit name was bought/sold on to different people which is how JD Tandems come to sell Orbit Tandems.

I suspect that Orbit bikes are a different entity.

All this is as I said, rather vague, but it might be of help?
Without my stoker, every trip would only be half a journey
RogerThat

Post by RogerThat »

Can't add much only to day that Orbit made some excellent tourers, my wife had a Gold Medal Orbit for many years and it was a rock solid little bike!
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

bikes4two wrote:This is one of those vague memory things, but I have a feeling (gleaned I think from speaking with JD Tandems of Gargrave) that the Orbit name was bought/sold on to different people which is how JD Tandems come to sell Orbit Tandems.

I suspect that Orbit bikes are a different entity.

All this is as I said, rather vague, but it might be of help?

Indeed the tandem business was sold off seperately to JD's, the solo business was sold off later when Simon, the owner finally decided to call it a day. The best frames were made by LA in Coventry, Gold Medals, Romany's and Photons between 2000 and 2008 - i run a 2006 Photon with Columbus tubing and my emergency bike is a late 90's 531 Pro.

No idea who is making the current stuff, they are painted the same as 'last generation' LA frames but that was done by Atlantic finishes anyway so no indicator!
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!