Tyre Height - 26 x 1.5

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Merry_Wanderer

Tyre Height - 26 x 1.5

Post by Merry_Wanderer »

My wife's bike currently has Panaracer Pasela tyres in 26 x 1.75 which have been great but which always been a bit tight a fit with mudguards. On yesterday's Audax event a piece of mud got stuck between the tyre and mudguard and took a lot of getting out. If the tyre hadn't been as tall then I could have poked the mud out.

My bike has Continental SportContact which are 26 x 1.6 and are 31mm tall.

I have measured the Pasela and it is 41mm from the edge of the rim to the top of the tread. Could you please suggest a 26 x 1.5 (or up to 1.75) which is less than 41mm as an alternative to the Pasela.

Many thanks
reohn2

Re: Tyre Height - 26 x 1.5

Post by reohn2 »

Just nipped out and did some measuring.
Vittoria Randonneur 26x1.5in on a 19mm rim,40mm wide x 37mm high
Schwalbe Marathon HS368 26x1.5in on a 19mm rim,38 wide x 37mm high

The Rando is a nice rolling comfy tyre the Marathon less so.The Vittoria Rando Pro is further step up for comfort,rolls even better and is a bargain ATM here:- http://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/TYVTRNDP/v ... lding-tyre
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
lowrider

Post by lowrider »

I would suggest fitting Pasela tg 1.5 to give a bit more room having made the mistake of purchasing Rando pro they are not as comparable as youwould think. While the Rando pro is clearly a quality tyre and at the planet X price a bargin it does in my experience roll a bit slower about say 1 mph when running at about 14 to 15 mph. The rando is clearly a tougher tyre with stronger side walls but no where near as flexible as the walls onthe pasela TG and thats what makes the difference in terms of speed and comfort. Iwould rather use the Rando for offroad but im afraid to say that these are going to roll as well as a pasela on tarmac is balony.

The randos are going to stay on the bike for a while as they are a good general purpose tyre and by no means a bad tyre come the summer when I am going longer distances they are comming off and a set of paselas or somthing comparable are going on.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

lowrider wrote: I would rather use the Rando for offroad but im afraid to say that these are going to roll as well as a pasela on tarmac is balony......

Did anyone say they would?

If you want a faster and all round better tyre than Paselas,Vittoria Rando/Voyager Hypers are the tyre but unfortunately only available in 700c.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
geocycle

Post by geocycle »

I'm a big fan of marathon supreme 26 x 1.6. They ride very well, are light, puncture resistant and last forever. Mine have 12,000 miles on them so far. But, mine are about 38mm above rim, so you might not gain much.
Merry_Wanderer

Post by Merry_Wanderer »

Thanks all for the advice and R2 for measuring, I will have a look at your recommended tyres
squeaker

Post by squeaker »

Vittoria Rubino Pro Slick 40 x 559. (Wiggle's wrong: they're folders; see the Vittoria web site.) 37mm above 19mm rim. A very comfortable and quick tyre with a harder central strip.
HTH
PS: Continentals 'always' come up small / low profile :roll:
"42"