How Many Bike Shops Do You Need to Visit ...

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
rmurphy195

Re: How Many Bike Shops Do You Need to Visit ...

Post by rmurphy195 »

Couple of years ago I needed a replacement Tourer. I live in South Birmingham. All I wanted to do was look at a few bikes - including one I had in mind. I visited about 12 - 15 shops within a 40 mile radius of home before giving up and having a bike built bvy a shop that could at least show me a suitable frame.

Then I tweaked it with a few bits off the internet (Spa Cycles chainset etc.) because the LBS could only fit the officially-shimano-compatible-stuff-that-works-together from the Shimano compatibility guide.

So much easier if one of them actually stocked a Dawes Galaxy without having to order it in specially (with the answer to the question "but what if I don't like it" = "You are stuck with it"), I could at least have looked at it to make a decision.

NB just noticed how old this thread really is!
Brompton, Condor Heritage, creaky joints and thinning white (formerly grey) hair
""You know you're getting old when it's easier to ride a bike than to get on and off it" - quote from observant jogger !
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Thread resuscitation is my speciality :wink:
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Trouble is as experienced cyclists we often know more than the experts who are there to serve us
We know what we can thoyle much better than they do
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

Cyril Haearn wrote:Trouble is as experienced cyclists we often know more than the experts who are there to serve us
We know what we can thoyle much better than they do

every ones body is differnt
horizon

Post by horizon »

RogerThat wrote:I buy all my 'hard to find' parts online now as I can't be bothered waiting the week till my lbs gets around to ordering it. It has the advantage it usually comes next day and it's invariably 20-30% cheaper. Who would run a traditional bike shop, Eh!?

The bloke you ordered on-line from is a traditional bike shop - more traditional than say Evans. It's a back-street or trading estate shed with cutomers like you all over the UK and indeed abroad, looking for the right part. If you can chat with them even better. Spa Cycles is my local bike shop (about 400 miles away). My other local bike shop is the For Sale section on this site and occasionally the Wanted section. In fact, throw in the advice you get on here and we are sitting on the most amazing LBS in the world probably without realising it.
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
AlaninWales

Post by AlaninWales »

Cyril Haearn wrote:
AlaninWales wrote:"Bike shops with absolutely everything, in all colours and a range of sizes; except for what you actually went in for" :wink:

I wonder whether anyone recognizes the quote :lol:

Apparently not, please explain
Diolch yn fawr iawn

Just a short extract from a regular column on the back page of the old Cycle mag, back in the '80s ISTR: Was entitled "The worst things about cycling".
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

andrew_s wrote:
RogerThat wrote:I can't be bothered waiting the week till my lbs gets around to ordering it.

Last time I ordered something off the LBS, part of the extra delay was that he had to build up enough items for a minimum order. It's not necessarily being disorganised or idle.

Also the companies will on occasion bounce a small shop's order if it means keeping bigger customer happy
mattsccm

Post by mattsccm »

I rarely use my LBS, mostly as i refuse to pay full price for anything if possible. However, in their defence , nowadays we have so much choice that it is imposible to carry even a small part of what might be wanted. Something of a limted demand such as a traditional tourer is bound to be hard to track down in the flesh. I,m not even go into the viciuos circle of demand creating supply and economics etc.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

There should be a market for mechanics who can fix, adjust, repair things when so many bikes are being sold
busb

Post by busb »

My most frequented LBS is Evans in Reading. One advantage is you can check on-line what they sell & what the stock level is. They will price-match to Chain Reaction & other suppliers so I can often buy parts on my way home without having to worry about parcels being returned due to not being home but as cheaply. I've ordered stuff that gets delivered the next working day to the shop in more than one size or type then just bought the most suitable one.
If not already discounted by more than 10% already, they refund me then give me the discount that CUK membership allows.
I've bought bike stuff online from Chain Reaction, Wiggle, Probike kit, Tredz, Amazon, etc, etc.
Last edited by busb on 11 Jan 2018, 2:08pm, edited 1 time in total.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Cyril Haearn wrote:Thread resuscitation is my speciality :wink:

Perhaps your true vocation is a Paraforumedic :wink:
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
busb

Post by busb »

Cyril Haearn wrote:There should be a market for mechanics who can fix, adjust, repair things when so many bikes are being sold

I think you'll find there already is - either mobile or from premises so less a bike shop & more for repairs. Obviously depends where you live of course.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Bike shops and book shops do come and go, some new ones succeed, +2

The Grauniad reported recently that the number of *independent* bookshops in the UK had risen slightly after declining for years

I know about this, my leafy suburb LBS closed, some time later a bookshop took over the premises, it is still there
Username

Post by Username »

Just buy online. Far more likely to find what you need. Going into a shop means they may have to order it in anyway, plus you have to be bothered to make another trip. I do buy the odd thing from Tredz shop but not very often. It also helps that I have invested in tools and learned to do stuff myself. Its great not having to make appointments or rely on others who may or may not be any good.
mjr

Post by mjr »

Username wrote:Just buy online. Far more likely to find what you need. Going into a shop means they may have to order it in anyway, plus you have to be bothered to make another trip.

They may, but if it's something reasonably common like a freewheel or SA sprocket, you may well enjoy instant gratification. It's worth popping in when you're next passing, then ordering yourself if they don't have it - although a growing number of shops will order parts for you with delivery to you, especially if it's not the sort of thing which will come on their usual bulk order.

Username wrote:I do buy the odd thing from Tredz shop but not very often.

Tredz are just another name of Half-odds now.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.