Garmin 810

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
cheesypeeps

Re: Garmin 810

Post by cheesypeeps »

Many thanks! Aren't forum friends great!! That's me sorted now. Even created a route for myself!! :) thanks again :)
using hovercraft full of eels.
cheesypeeps

Post by cheesypeeps »

Another wee question about my lovely new Garmin 810.... Can you pause it mid ride... If so how? If I stop for lunch I want to pause my route but don't wanna save my first half as separate from my second half of the day if that makes sense?
andrewjoseph

Post by andrewjoseph »

cheesypeeps wrote:Another wee question about my lovely new Garmin 810.... Can you pause it mid ride... If so how? If I stop for lunch I want to pause my route but don't wanna save my first half as separate from my second half of the day if that makes sense?

see the 'stop' button? press it. when you want to go again, press it again. :wink:
--
Burls Ti Tourer for tarmac
Saracen aluminium full suss for trails.
cheesypeeps

Post by cheesypeeps »

Do you mean the wee button at the bottom on the right that looks like a play button that you press to start?
cheesypeeps

Post by cheesypeeps »

the one on the right at the bottom? When I do that is say... Disregard or save? If I save it then starts from afresh after lunch...
andrewjoseph

Post by andrewjoseph »

you are quite correct, i forgot the 810 is different to the 800.

you can use auto pause, where you set the the garmin to pause after a time with no movement. but this can be difficult as gps anomalies can have you moving around when perfectly still.

we just ignore it.
--
cheesypeeps

Post by cheesypeeps »

Anyone else have any ideas... I'm not keen on the auto pause.... Just stopping at traffic lights could set it off.
Mick F you seem to be knowledgeable of all things Garmin?
Erudin

Post by Erudin »

When you press the bottom right button it is paused, do not press save/discard. To unpause press the bottom right button and it will resume. If you pause for a long time the unit will power down, but when you switch back on it will be back on the save/discard screen and pressing the bottom right button will resume your ride.

If you accidentally save the ride and have to start recording another ride you can join them together later using something like http://gotoes.org/strava/Combine_GPX_TCX_FIT_Files.php.
andy_l

Post by andy_l »

GPS newbie here - I've just been given an 810 by my son, partly for a LEJOG later in the summer. We have loaded the OSM mapping for the UK; I have a couple of questions:
1) I can't do a postcode search to find places - is that because there's no postcode data in the OSM maps?
2) I'd like to put markers on the map e.g. for my overnight stops - how can I easily do that?
andrewjoseph

Post by andrewjoseph »

not sure about the post code but for markers i use basecamp for mac. I plot my route in basecamp, going through any markers (waypoints), i put down: campsite, B&B etc. making sure i route to the markers. for example i would mark out the days start and stop, clicking on the waypoints, not just near them.

when the route is uploaded to the garmin, the waypoints are included without me having to do anything else.

I use this regularly to plot routes for the ctc quest point competition and it has never failed me yet.
--
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

cheesypeeps wrote:Anyone else have any ideas... I'm not keen on the auto pause.... Just stopping at traffic lights could set it off.
Mick F you seem to be knowledgeable of all things Garmin?
Sorry, late to the party here. :oops:

If you use Auto Pause, it could very well start again if the signal is poor. GPS devices can "jitter" as the unit tries to find your exact position. If you just stop briefly, Auto Pause is fine. If you want to stop and go into a cafe or somewhere, press Stop, but don't forget to press Start before you go.

Here's a screenshot of one of my mistakes. :oops:
Screen Shot 2015-06-03 at 16.48.44.png

You can see that I pressed Stop and after setting off again, forgot to press Start. Therefore the resultant track went into a straight line from Stop to Start.

I now use a Garmin Montana, and although it doesn't do Auto Pause, you can set the unit to only detect movement if it goes above a certain distance. I have mine set to 4yds. Therefore if I actually stop moving, the Montana stops too but any glitches and jitters are unlikely to be above the 4yd figure, but I make sure I press Stop when I stop deliberately, and experience reminds me to press Start again. I could set it to a greater distance, but 4yds seems ok.

My Montana can be set to record down to 1sec intervals or all the way up to 99hrs 59mins and 59 secs intervals. Distance settings can be from 1yd up to 9,999.99yds. Quite versatile eh?
Mick F. Cornwall
MGate

Post by MGate »

I don't worry about start and stop at all - the Garmin will record your average speed and your moving average speed (as in it will chop out the bits where you are stationary). Which is actually quite useful when planning longer rides. I used to think that my average speed was around 15mph on a longish ride - but its more like 13 including stops - makes it easier to realise how long you will be out of the house for. After what's cycling if you can't visit a cafe?
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

The trouble is, if you park your bike next to a big building or under summer foliage, the GPS signal will be compromised.
Therefore, it may continually search for a more accurate position and your distance will be added to, plus your average speed will be changed. Total time too.

Best thing to do is press Stop, or use Auto Pause.

Here's a little few facts from my Montana that I've just switched on set to 1sec recording.
In the past 3minutes, I've done 100yds at an average speed of 3.4mph whilst just sitting here in the living room! :lol:
Mick F. Cornwall
cheesypeeps

Post by cheesypeeps »

Thanks for all the replies.
I just pressed the stop and switched off the unit at lunch times to make sure I didn't knock it. And then I always remembered to press start again! (Wonder how long I'll keep these fresh memory cells!)
All is good. My tour went well and it was all recorded. :)
Thanks again for the advice.
MGate

Post by MGate »

Crumbs didn't think of that - but can see if the unit is hunting about it would add some distance. Thanks Mick - means I'm a slower cyclist than I thought!

Think I'll run it in my front room and add a Strava segment!