Old dog, new cleats?

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
boink

Old dog, new cleats?

Post by boink »

I switched to cleats last year after 30 odd years of toe clips in the hope of getting some extra help going uphill, but tend to forget I've got them on sometimes when pulling in to stop. Its a scary feeling (and very embarrassing if anyones about) when you're almost at a halt, try to stick the right leg out and then try like hell to twist your foot out as you're falling. I've also fallen off when missing a gear going uphill. I just seem to remember that I've got them on too late!

Anyone else have the same problem? Is over 40 just too old to adjust to cleats?
PW

Post by PW »

I was over 50, and I only fell off once! :oops: :D
If at first you don't succeed - cheat!!
groveller

Post by groveller »

When I changed to SPD a few years ago, I used to reach down to release the quick-release on toe straps which were no longer there! No falls but one or two close calls. Wouldn't go back to toe clips now though.
Bob H

Post by Bob H »

I was over 60 when I changed. Came of once, on the first day. Many thousand miles since and have had no mishaps that I would not have had in straps, and not come off again. Definitely stick with them if you can. I think much improved performance. One thing not to do is chop and change. Unclipping and uncleating should be automatic so stick to one or t'other.
hamster

Post by hamster »

Don't worry, falling over a few times is part of the initiation rite. :wink:

Pain is a wonderful thing for accelerated learning...after a week or so you'll be fine.
boink

Post by boink »

I'll perservere then. Seems it's not an age thing, just a dozy git thing.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

boink wrote:I'll perservere then. Seems it's not an age thing, just a dozy git thing.

When I first went over to t'other side I initailly had a couple of graceful laying downs in hedges etc but once I'd got the tension right so I unclipped easily I quickly found my feet (if you'll forgive the pun). I wouldn't ride clips and straps now if they paid me.
SPD's are truely the best thing since slice bread,especially with double sided MTB type pedals.
DavidT

Cleats

Post by DavidT »

I delayed changing for years due to tales of woe. However, having made the change last year to SPDs and the MTB style double sided pedals, I wish I'd have done it much sooner. I have'nt fallen off once yet and only had a couple of near misses! (Famous last words no doubt!)

I'm 41. My old habit of toe clips died quickly and the SPDs are second nature. Persevere, it will be worth it.
boink

Post by boink »

Tension might be part of my problem - as my cleats do need a bit of a violent yank to disengage. They're double sided cheapos from Lidl, which might be another part of the problem.

Thanks for the encouragement.
PW

Post by PW »

Our Mr Smith does SPD clone double sided cheapies by Wellgo which have adjustable tension. Not quite up to ATAC Carbons but they'll do the job & if you don't like them you've lost nowt. :wink:
byegad

Post by byegad »

I changed to cleats when I bought a recumbent bike. I fell a few times stopping and starting until I got used to the bike AND the cleats, I'd say more falls due to the bike than the cleats. I now use cleats on the recumbent bike and new recumbent trike and toe clips and straps on all my uprights. I have no problems, perhaps due to the very different riding position I seem to do the right thing every time.
boink

Post by boink »

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/ProductDetail.a ... 5360006646

Is this what you're recommending PW? Not sure what 'Mr Smiths' is?
These do look a bit more the business than my current sub £10 pedals.
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

boink wrote:http://www.wiggle.co.uk/ProductDetail.aspx?Cat=cycle&ProdID=5360006646

Is this what you're recommending PW? Not sure what 'Mr Smiths' is?
These do look a bit more the business than my current sub £10 pedals.

Its my experience that Wellgo clone SPDs are subtly different in cleat design to genuine Shimano products. They interwork, but one needs to be very careful with the tension settings. If you stick with "all clone" or "all Shimano" then things don't go wrong.

I found that a clone cleat is a tighter fit in a Shimano pedal than a Shimano cleat. It still works, but the twist to get the shoe out requires more effort, even at a low tension. ( I am currently running "mixed" whilst various bits wear out, though my experience means that I would be reluctant to suggest that anyone else does it ).

If buying genuine Shimano pedals and cleats, be aware that there are several variations. Within the common basic SPD, there are two cleat types (can be swapped). One type (multi-release) releases with an upwards pull on the heel (as well as with side-to-side), the other stays gripped when pulling upwards.

There is an argument in favour of the multi-release for the more cautious newcomer, but equally one could argue that they don't allow significant upwards pulls on the pedals. I started with the usual side-to-side release types and had no falling off episodes until trying to ride a mountain bike up a stupidly steep slope and ground to a halt. I still have toe-straps on one old bike, cleats on the others (road and MTB). My partner is a more cautious rider, rarely stands on the pedals, and prefers the multi-release.
PW

Post by PW »

I was referring to Paul Smith of Bike+ who you'll find on here regularly, and yes the Wellgo pedal. It works, it's cheap & it's adjustable. Fine for a new starter, or a winter commuting hack.