Bike touring in my lecture

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
serbring

Post by serbring »

Hi all,

This question is not a strictly related to bike touring, but hopefully any bike tourer may help me.
I work at the University and I have a course of applied mechanics. During my lectures I try to use tricks to intrudoce the topic, but and also to give tips to students that may be helpful in their professional lives. One tip I want to teach is that when they write a report, it is important to provide a clear background of the situation so their coworkers or boss can fully understand the value of their work. I want to teach it with bike touring.
To do this I need a photo of a dirty bike tourer, with long beard sitting of the ground fairly close to his bike. he must look like an homeless as much as possible.
I will start showing the cropped photo in order to show a close up of the bike tourer and I will ask to guess who is that man in the photo. Hopefully they will say that he is an homeless. :)
Then, I will show the cropped photo of the man without a bike and probably few students might say that he is a biker because they recognize it from few details, such as the clipless shoes or the specialized outdoor clothing. Finally, I'll show the full photo where it is clear to everyone that he is a bike tourer and not a homeless.

What do you think about the idea?
Unfortunately I do not have any photo that can be used for the purpose. Can anyone has a photo to give to me that may fit in the above description? Me and hopefully my students will appreciate it. :)

Thanks
Brucey

Re: Bike touring in my lecture

Post by Brucey »

not my photo, but you are right, he could be without fixed abode...

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
serbring

Post by serbring »

Brucey wrote:not my photo, but you are right, he could be without fixed abode...

cheers

Hi Brucey, the picture is fine, unfortunately it doesn't permit me to create the three different pictures I need just by cropping the original photo. I mean the close up, one with the biker and the original one with the biker and his bike.

Thanks
cheesypeeps

Post by cheesypeeps »

I think you might need to try and stage this desired photo.
Altho I'm going on a tour next week and may end up looking homeless... Although I'll be solo so won't have anyone to take my pic!
Good luck with your idea!
using hovercraft full of eels.
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

there are plenty more pics of the hairy chap here;

https://mikeonbike.wordpress.com/images/asia/kazakhstan/

dunno how you would stand, copyright wise...

cheers
Heltor Chasca

Post by Heltor Chasca »

Here's me on a good day:
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1431198453.088394.jpg

The dragon got my bike...b
Heltor Chasca

Post by Heltor Chasca »

In all seriousness as a pro gardener (I didn't say expert) there is a wonderful story of an ex heroin addict and homeless man right here in Bath who has had help from the community and funded tools and a bike. He travels about on his bike with his tools and has an admirable client base. I am utterly in awe. So inspired am I, that in the Winter I wish to do 10% of my winter work by bike as a starter. I'll be pleased if I can achieve that...b
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

Attachments
IMG_2441 (1280x651).jpg
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
Geoff.D

Post by Geoff.D »

Of course, your idea isn't limited to cyclists. You could achieve the same result by using a photo of a suitable person in many walks of life, as long as he/she was photographed alongside his/her equipment and had the "look" that you think is suitable.
Mountaineer; artist; rock musician; drama teacher; pizza delivery person; comedian..................
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

I'm unsure about the approach. In effect, by cropping the photo you are deliberately removing information meaning. And with the removed evidence your audience will be making assumptions. Personally I would regard removal of information (deliberate cropping) as being different from failing to provide a context.

So, whilst I actually can't think of any examples, I do wonder if your point might be made by showing one such report that failed to provide a context and thus could cause misinterpretations.

I suppose where I coming from (and maybe splitting hairs a bit) is that you would be deliberately removing information to guide your audience to the wrong conclusion rather than just failing to provide a context to help your audience understand the situation better/quicker.

Ian
serbring

Post by serbring »

Geoff.D wrote:Of course, your idea isn't limited to cyclists. You could achieve the same result by using a photo of a suitable person in many walks of life, as long as he/she was photographed alongside his/her equipment and had the "look" that you think is suitable.
Mountaineer; artist; rock musician; drama teacher; pizza delivery person; comedian..................

You're on right, but since I am a bike tourer...I would prefer to use it as metapohor.
serbring

Post by serbring »

Thanks Vorpal, it's almost perfect. Unfortunately she doesn't dress any special outdoor equipped to let few students to spot that she is a biker before the rest of the class.
GOHughes

Post by GOHughes »

Have a look at the Bikefix website on the section advertising the Tout Terrain Amber Road tourer. There is a suitable photo there in the thumbnail pics below the main pic of the bike. It isn't in the public domain so would probably require copyright clearance:

http://bikefix.co.uk/amber-road
beardy

Post by beardy »

I feel that I would make a perfect model for your lecture, unfortunately anybody who looks like a tramp on a bike (sole concession to cycling gear often being Shimano sandals) is unlikely to be carrying a camera. :lol:

Those pictures lack the air of finesse that comes with the use of carrierbags, old lemonade bottles and other common domestic items in place of items such as trangia flasks and drybags.

The impression is especially good after a week when the face is weathered and peeling and the clothes are picking up various oil stains and other dirt marks.