Bike touring in my lecture

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
serbring

Re: Bike touring in my lecture

Post by serbring »

GOHughes wrote:Have a look at the Bikefix website on the section advertising the Tout Terrain Amber Road tourer. There is a suitable photo there in the thumbnail pics below the main pic of the bike. It isn't in the public domain so would probably require copyright clearance:

http://bikefix.co.uk/amber-road

oh yest that photo is perfect, but unfortunately it is in LQ. :(
Mattyfez

Post by Mattyfez »

serbring wrote:Hi all,

This question is not a strictly related to bike touring, but hopefully any bike tourer may help me.
I work at the University and I have a course of applied mechanics. During my lectures I try to use tricks to intrudoce the topic, but and also to give tips to students that may be helpful in their professional lives. One tip I want to teach is that when they write a report, it is important to provide a clear background of the situation so their coworkers or boss can fully understand the value of their work. I want to teach it with bike touring.
To do this I need a photo of a dirty bike tourer, with long beard sitting of the ground fairly close to his bike. he must look like an homeless as much as possible.
I will start showing the cropped photo in order to show a close up of the bike tourer and I will ask to guess who is that man in the photo. Hopefully they will say that he is an homeless. :)
Then, I will show the cropped photo of the man without a bike and probably few students might say that he is a biker because they recognize it from few details, such as the clipless shoes or the specialized outdoor clothing. Finally, I'll show the full photo where it is clear to everyone that he is a bike tourer and not a homeless.

What do you think about the idea?
Unfortunately I do not have any photo that can be used for the purpose. Can anyone has a photo to give to me that may fit in the above description? Me and hopefully my students will appreciate it. :)

Thanks

I would suggest that you learn how to spell and construct a sentence before conducting lectures, especially at university level.

What is the university to you lecture at, out of interest?
Samuel D

Post by Samuel D »

Mattyfez wrote:I would suggest that you learn how to spell and construct a sentence before conducting lectures, especially at university level.

What is the university to you lecture at …

Another strident grammar critic hoist with his own petard …
beardy

Post by beardy »

I dont bother proof reading my posts either, the odd typo may get through on many occasions but if doing a presentation I would proof read it. I think that most people can cope with having standards which are more lax on a Forum.

Fortunately I am in the world of Engineering where spelling and grammar are given much less importance than is given to what you can actually achieve.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

Mattyfez wrote:
I would suggest that you learn how to spell and construct a sentence before conducting lectures, especially at university level.

What is the university to you lecture at, out of interest?

I expect that his grammar is fine in Italian; since he works in an Italian university, it hardly matters if his English grammar is perfect.

p.s. there are many international members on this forum. Please don't attack grammar and spelling.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
Samuel D

Post by Samuel D »

beardy wrote:Fortunately I am in the world of Engineering where spelling and grammar are given much less importance than is given to what you can actually achieve.

Good spelling and grammar are achievements too, and success depends upon them if you’re writing advertising copy or an instruction manual. As you say, forum standards are lower. And in this case, serbring’s writing is perfectly clear and effective.
Geoff.D

Post by Geoff.D »

With regard to the written word, I'm of the view that there are times and places where it needs to be top class, and others (such as this multi-national forum) where it doesn't really matter as long as communication is good. For example, I love it that we have such a rich and varied culture in Britain, part of which is evidenced in the many dialects and local variations in grammar.
Geoff.D

Post by Geoff.D »

beardy wrote:Fortunately I am in the world of Engineering where spelling and grammar are given much less importance than is given to what you can actually achieve.

This reminds me of a moment, in 1967, that has lived with me since. I still chuckle when I think about it.

In 1967 I went to Birmingham University on an Engineering degree course. I was the first person in my family to ever go to higher education and I was filled with excitement, pride and wonder. On my first evening I went to the "gents" at the Student's Union.. Sitting in a cubicle I was amazed to find the walls covered in graffiti, simply because this would have been seen as anti-social behaviour where I came from. However, it seemed that it was tolerated there as a vehicle for "creative expression". So, I began reading and my eyes fell upon -

Yesterday I couldn't even spell "engineer". Now I is one

I laughed out loud and nearly fell off the loo!
It was a piece of graffiti in perfect form and my introduction to the traditional banter between the Arts and Sciences
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

Am i the only person who founds this whole post distasteful?
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
Heltor Chasca

Post by Heltor Chasca »

eileithyia wrote:Am i the only person who founds this whole post distasteful?

The thought did cross my mind earlier on, so I think I get where you might be coming from. I pondered it for a while and re-read the motives of the op. I felt that it wasn't offensive towards people on the peripheries our perceived 'normal' society. But I can't talk for the homeless community. I am mindful that I can be overly 'PC' sometimes being liberal and tolerant. Sometimes I need to remember to have a laugh and indulge in darker humour. I also tried to balance the thread and demonstrate that homeless people do have success stories to share which is why I mentioned my ex-homeless gardening cyclist colleague.