Aren't Tandems Sexist?...

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
PJ520

Re: Aren't Tandems Sexist?...

Postby PJ520 » 27 May 2015, 2:03pm

blackbike wrote:How can it be sexist to provide what the market demands?

Women often tag along with the hobby of their husband or latest boyfriend. Men rarely tag along with the hobby of their wife or latest girlfriend, if she has one.
Sad to say that used to be true. 50 years ago it was common for a lass to 'come off' potholing, climbing, all kinds of daft stuff with their boyfriend. They'd get married and you'd never see them again. Nowadays the potholing club I belong to has women that are as competent and capable (dare I say hard) as I ever was. The difference I have noticed is that women tend to be nicer to beginners. Perhaps that's being sexist too.
You only live once, which is enough if you do it right. - Mae West

Milfred Cubicle

Postby Milfred Cubicle » 29 May 2015, 7:31pm

My wife and I started riding tandems a while ago, and I was chosen to pilot due to having more cycling experience. After a while we bought a second tandem and she piloted it with our kids. One day I suggested she pilot and I'd be stoker. It was horrible...the bike handled like a top heavy jelly, my weight trying to flex the bike through the bends. From this experiment I'd say irrespective of gender, the larger rider should pilot....unless you really like being scared.

Sweep

Postby Sweep » 30 May 2015, 6:57am

Sounds logical milfred but i fear that it could also lead to problems.

"I think you should pilot dear".

"Are you saying I'm fat?"
Sweep

pwa

Postby pwa » 30 May 2015, 11:27am

Our Thorn tandem is easy to steer and brake, so upper body strength is not an issue. But handling would be difficult if the front wheel did not have the weight of the heaviest rider on it to provide downward pressure when cornering. Weight, not gender, is the crucial factor. So a pairing of a small, thin man and a large woman should have the woman as the pilot.