Musette/Bonk Bag? Old Skool

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
deliquium

Musette/Bonk Bag? Old Skool

Post by deliquium »

Can anyone shed any light on the history of the type shown? It's cotton, backed with a thin 'rubberised' vinyl? It has 2 rings at the base for ties to go around the rider's waist which prevents the bag swaying or slipping. Size is 33cm x 26 cm.

Presumably it wasn't the type handed up to racing cyclists' as the waist tie would have been too much of a faff?

Are they a British club riders' adaption of the 'racing' musette?

I'm finding it very useful indeed :D

Click on photo for a larger version
Attachments
3510-Campag-MusetteC.jpg
Last edited by deliquium on 29 May 2015, 4:50pm, edited 1 time in total.
Current pedalable joys

"you would be surprised at the number of people in these parts who nearly are half people and half bicycles"
tatanab

Re: Musette/Bonk Bag? Old Skool

Post by tatanab »

I used them (that specific design) from 1986 to about 1990. Normally it would be used by racing cyclists in the days when people rode to events instead of driving. It was also used by tourists to bundle paperwork etc in one place when put in a saddlebag. Not many people used the potential for waist loops since the bag would usually stay in place on your back adequately well. Some shops had their own logo on bags for advertising, usually as a plastic cover stitched over the face of a plain bag. They were a lot tougher than the cotton musettes handed up to riders in road races.

CTC got very sniffy about people using them instead of saddlebags when riding in the BCTC. Some riders would just put enough bits and pieces inside for the day instead of carrying a saddlebag, possibly like modern riders might stuff their pockets and put tools in a small saddle wedge bag. But CTC did not like that and so riders were penalised on points even though many/most saddles of the time (1970s) did not have saddlebag loops.
deliquium

Post by deliquium »

That's just so crazy - not a world I want to be dealing with!

I bought it off a kindly forum member for £15 and I am NOT SELLING it.
Current pedalable joys

"you would be surprised at the number of people in these parts who nearly are half people and half bicycles"
rjb

Post by rjb »

I was using an identical one in the late 1960's. As Tatanab says a lot of cycle shops sold them with their own name on. I had a brown/purple one with "Don Farrell" on it. It's a long time ago now but I vaguely recall the bag was a freebie with a minimum purchase. 8)
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway X2, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
tatanab

Post by tatanab »

tatanab wrote:I used them (that specific design) from 1986 to about 1990.
That was a silly typo - of course I meant from 1968 ---
robgul

Post by robgul »

rjb wrote:I was using an identical one in the late 1960's. As Tatanab says a lot of cycle shops sold them with their own name on. I had a brown/purple one with "Don Farrell" on it. It's a long time ago now but I vaguely recall the bag was a freebie with a minimum purchase. 8)

Indeed - I had a Cyclo Benelux musette from the bike shop in about 1962/3 - IIRC they gave it me when they dished a wheel and fitted a 4 speed freewheel for my newly acquired Benelux rear mech (the one with the great big spring that you would up to get tension on it)

Rob
E2E http://www.cycle-endtoend.org.uk
HoECC http://www.heartofenglandcyclingclub.org.uk
Cytech accredited mechanic . . . and woodworker
fastpedaller

Post by fastpedaller »

That's just so crazy - not a world I want to be dealing with!

I've a good mind to ask if it has food included at that price!!!
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

they are vaguely useful and I did sometimes use one back in the day. But I wouldn't now.

The reason? People might mistake me for one of those urban hipsters.... you know, the ones who will pay three times as much for something that is 'retro' or has 'campagnolo' written on it.... :wink:

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

IIRC, these usually went with a Walls Icecream PVC pennant, liberated from outside some sweetshop etc and wrapped round tubs rolled up under the saddle. (That's not tubs of icecream BTW :wink: )
Tasker

Post by Tasker »

What a great idea/perfect thing.
drossall

Post by drossall »

As others have said, they were universally used when most people rode out to events. Any self-respecting bike shop would sell its own branded ones. I still have, and use, my CTC one.

I disagree about waist straps - they are useful and I miss the ones that have come off my CTC bag.
ANTONISH

Post by ANTONISH »

thirdcrank wrote:IIRC, these usually went with a Walls Icecream PVC pennant, liberated from outside some sweetshop etc and wrapped round tubs rolled up under the saddle. (That's not tubs of icecream BTW :wink: )

I remember "liberating" a couple of those.
Large bonk bags were a common sight in the fifties. Home made out of a length of deckchair canvas with a wide strap. Quite handy for carrying kit out to events - most of us didn't have cars.
pete75

Post by pete75 »

'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

I found a race musette in my kit bag that i was given when i bought a new frame. Its much like they use today, cotton, couple of studs and can easily be shoved in a pocket when empty. TBH i used to use it for my embrocation but it'll be pressed into use at L'Eroica! :D
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!