A simple milometer - nothing more.

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
millimole

Re: A simple milometer - nothing more.

Post by millimole »

Bonefishblues wrote:How about a very simple thing indeed (yet very clever) strapped to your bike?

I've pre-ordered one for our escaping Mutt (seriously!) but lots of other options available.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/18 ... er-for-eve

For me, as regards riding my bike, I'm not sure what advantage - other the two key presses - it has over one of the many GPS recording apps for my phone. I take my phone anyway, and it's always in my pocket.

You can easlily remove the Tapatalk spam using settings on YOUR phone
Leicester; Riding my Hetchins since 1971; Day rides on my Dawes; Going to the shops on a Decathlon Hoprider
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

millimole wrote:
Bonefishblues wrote:How about a very simple thing indeed (yet very clever) strapped to your bike?

I've pre-ordered one for our escaping Mutt (seriously!) but lots of other options available.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/18 ... er-for-eve

For me, as regards riding my bike, I'm not sure what advantage - other the two key presses - it has over one of the many GPS recording apps for my phone. I take my phone anyway, and it's always in my pocket.

You can easlily remove the Tapatalk spam using settings on YOUR phone

I suppose it's always on in the sense that it records every single movement, for those who simply throw their leg over a bike and don't always take a mobile.

It (this model at least) has some limited utility (if placed somewhere inconspicuous) in the immediate aftermath of a bike theft, perhaps.
canoesailor

Post by canoesailor »

Thanks Brucey, I just ordered one over the phone, a very helpful lady took the order and it's in the post today.

I've bookmarked them for future reference.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

I wonder how accurate they are?
When I had mine back in the 60s, it was for a 26" wheel. In those days, we used 26x1 3/8 tyres.

These days, there's a wide variety of tyres available for any given rim.

On another thread, it was said that the old 28" was basically a 700C rim with a wide tyre making them 28", but my 700C rims have narrow tyres, and they have much more in common with a 26" wheel than a 28" one. Rolling diameter on mine is 26.3"

Also, my Moulton has 20" wheels, but the rolling diameter is 18.6".
Mick F. Cornwall
thornie1543

Post by thornie1543 »

I just use a wireless cateye velo fixed to top of one fork leg,lasted me years so far,cant believe you have paid a tenner for that old thing!!!
bigjim

Post by bigjim »

Got an original one in the garage that came with my Raleigh clubman. Took it off because the ticking was so annoying.
CREPELLO

Post by CREPELLO »

thornie1543 wrote:I just use a wireless cateye velo fixed to top of one fork leg,lasted me years so far,cant believe you have paid a tenner for that old thing!!!
How often do you replace the battery?

I'm still still want a simple odometer (tho not the Huret mech type). A simple regular bike puter could be viable if the screen could be turned off (or would only turn on when used, which is a wish I have for any bike computer) in order to save battery power. I know how to turn an LCD display off...I can break absolutely anything. But it's figuring out how to turn it on again to get a mileage reading Image
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

I'd suggest that a 5-10 quid outer kept out of the way under the saddle will do the job at least as well as anything else.

Even a precautionary annual battery change isn't *that* much work is it?
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
elPedro666

Post by elPedro666 »

First I haven't had chance to read all of the replies, so apologies if I'm jumping in/repeating etc.

If you are using a Garmin anyway, you can just sync it to Strava (or any of the other options I imagine), either on your phone or the PC, and then it will save the activity against whichever bike you select. Screenshot of mine included for reference. Hadn't looked at that list before and I'm a bit shocked! [emoji38]

This way you get all the info you want (and more) with nothing extra to carry and zero expenditure.

I'm a trendy consumer. Just look at my wobbly using hovercraft full of eels.
canoesailor

Post by canoesailor »

thornie1543 wrote:I just use a wireless cateye velo fixed to top of one fork leg,lasted me years so far,cant believe you have paid a tenner for that old thing!!!

I've tried bike computers and I cant see the display from my seat on a semi recumbent trike. Most are cheap, nasty, unreliable and inaccurate plus, being hung on the front fork they are prone to breakage. I will run my 'ancient relic' on the inside of the back wheel, right away from accidental damage.

But my real reason is that I want a permanent log of the mileage on that trike with no battery worries etc. I dont need to see it while riding only when I want to see my overall mileage. When I want to see my speed on a trip I will use my Garmin walking GPS. It has the ability to keep a mileage log, but I go canoeing and if my back gets better, walking. Occasionally I use it on my motorbike all this would add to the log and give a false reading for the trike.

I remember we stopped the clicks in the sixties by fitting a piece of tight rubber tubing over the pin as a shock absorber.
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

your motivations for wanting a simple device are almost identical to my own*.

I got about 95% of my setup spot on; what a disappointment that the internals let me down!

Nice idea about the rubber coated striker; however I suspect that the only thing that will stop the wheel from overshooting on downhills is to make the working diameter as small as possible.

cheers

* [I am frankly sick to death of crappy gadgets with batteries in them and I would rather eat worms than buy another one.]
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~