A simple milometer - nothing more.

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
CREPELLO

A simple milometer - nothing more.

Post by CREPELLO »

Does anyone know of a recording device that just records mileage only, a modern version of the old Huret milometer? With my regular use of a Garmin on several bikes, my ability to record individual bike mileage has gone to pot. I don't always take the Garmin out as I'm not that obsessive about recording every ride. Yet having to have a computer and the Garmin on the handlebars seems over the top and clunky, some how. But I would like to have a reliable way of recording total bike mileage.

My ideal device would be tucked away, without the need for a handlebar mount and less wiring. I guess it would need to be battery operated, as I am not about to mount the old fashioned (tick tick tick!) Huret. Hopefully it would use less juice than a regular puter, if it's got a smaller display. The display could go into passive mode when the bike isn't in use, to further save juice. I'm dreaming here aren't I?

It's clear from an ebay search that the simple milometer is seriously out of fashion now, unless I'm using the wrong key word.
simonineaston

Re: A simple milometer - nothing more.

Post by simonineaston »

I looked, too -but the only thing I could find was the simplest of bike computers, and in the end I got quite used to having a variety of data available. I chose a CatEye wireless jobbie which has trip mileage, total mileage and the time as well - and even the current speed / average speed is interesting sometimes! I put it on my front rack so it doesn't clutter up the bars and most observers wouldn't even spot it.
Last edited by simonineaston on 2 Jun 2015, 9:44am, edited 1 time in total.
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
beardy

Post by beardy »

It is no cheaper for them to make a device which only measures distance than it is for them to make a device with 12 functions from the same sensor and timing data.

It is much easier for you to buy and fit such a 12 function device than for them to make separate devices for every particular desire. A simple wired speedo can sit there for five years on a small internal battery, you dont have to have it visible or look at the speed display on it but looking does warn you if it isnt working for some reason.

Having it set as a clock may be a more acceptable display?
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

What about a minimal (cheapest) computer mounted to the seatpost with the sensor on the rear wheel.
I find Sigma to be the most reliable,the mountings are held on by O rings and the head unit can be altered for stem or handlebar so lends itself to seatpost mounting.
Alternatively the same computer fitted to one of these mounted hanging below the h/bars:- http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ACOR-Light-Co ... 33a35ebb69
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

What you can do, is what I'm considering.
I like to know how far I've been and would like a rides diary, but not necessarily have technology on the handlebars. Simplicity is nice!

Memorise where you've been, then when you get home trace the route on BikeHikeUK and write down the resulting mileage. Different list for different bikes. You can even write down what you saw, who you spoke to, where you had tea, and what the weather was like. You can't get all that from a Garmin. :D
Mick F. Cornwall
pioneer

Post by pioneer »

Until I went over to the dark side last Christmas and got a bike sat nav, I used the most basic bike comp' I could find for mainly the same reasons. Though it has seven functions, all I actually wanted was the trip mileage, total mileage and a clock. And the battery lasts for about three years too. It's the £7.50 unit from Tescos. Really could not fault it.
andrewjoseph

Post by andrewjoseph »

CREPELLO wrote:Does anyone know of a recording device that just records mileage only, a modern version of the old Huret milometer? With my regular use of a Garmin on several bikes, my ability to record individual bike mileage has gone to pot. I don't always take the Garmin out as I'm not that obsessive about recording every ride. Yet having to have a computer and the Garmin on the handlebars seems over the top and clunky, some how. But I would like to have a reliable way of recording total bike mileage.

the statements in bold seem to be mutually exclusive. if you don't want to record everything then total milage shouldn't matter.

I log every ride in ascent for mac this gives me total miles for both my bikes. this way i keep tabs on maintenance, longevity of parts etc. i can then avoid buying stuff that doesn't last long. it also gives me backup to argue with disagreements on warranty etc.

Garmin 705 and 800 have several bike profiles that counts total miles for each bike but you must change garmin to the appropriate bike at the start of the ride. garmin 810 and 1000 don't have this but have profiles. if you make a profile for each bike it should keep total milage for each bike.
--
Burls Ti Tourer for tarmac
Saracen aluminium full suss for trails.
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

I spent an absolute age trying to find the equivalent tool for location - I felt strongly at the time that all I wanted was something that simply told me where I was. No maps, no routes, no tracking, no zooming in & out... just the coordinates of my current location, but in the end, I had to acknowledge that life doesn't always provide me with exactly what I want and that it was up to me to adapt, not the other way round. (I did find a device that was very nearly suitable although it wasn't readily available, being sold in 100s to provide census data collectors with the ability to stamp a location.)
It all sort of reminds me of T.E. Lawrence... "The trick, William Potter, is not minding that it hurts!"
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
borderghost

Post by borderghost »

How about using the basic garmin edge 200, but instead of mounting on various bikes just keep it in your pocket or bar/saddle bag, as it is not touch screen and the menu buttons require moderate finger pressure there should be no risk of it switching off in your pocket. Before I purchased spare mounts for my other bikes I carried it in my pocket with no problems.
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

Exactly what you need...
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Lucas-ODOMETE ... 51d1fa68a7

Vintage. like me :D

… and you could update your lights at the same time..
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/EARLY-VINTAGE ... 1415199911

:lol: Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
MikeF

Post by MikeF »

reohn2 wrote:What about a minimal (cheapest) computer mounted to the seatpost with the sensor on the rear wheel.
I find Sigma to be the most reliable,the mountings are held on by O rings and the head unit can be altered for stem or handlebar so lends itself to seatpost mounting.
Alternatively the same computer fitted to one of these mounted hanging below the h/bars:- http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ACOR-Light-Co ... 33a35ebb69
Good idea. Cateye Velo7 could also be mounted on the seat post. The mounting "frame" is held by plastic ties and gummed tape and the "computer" clips into the mount. Probably there are many other cheap devices that would also fit in a similar way.
"It takes a genius to spot the obvious" - my old physics master.
I don't peddle bikes.
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

if you don't want the annoyance or potential unreliability of electrickery, you could get a clockwork one. I posted my rework of such here

http://forum.ctc.org.uk/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=96459&p=894071

and it looks like this

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
mistyr

Post by mistyr »

I just use an app on my mobile - I have it start recording when I begin my ride and then stop it when I finish. It's worked for me so far :lol:

A friend gave me a pretty simple milometer just last week, but I can't seem to figure out how to get it to work :?
fastpedaller

Post by fastpedaller »

I just use a simple (but cordless) one for less than a fiver BIN from our favourite auction site, have a couple of them and they work well.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

Brucey wrote:if you don't want the annoyance or potential unreliability of electrickery, you could get a clockwork one. I posted my rework of such here

http://forum.ctc.org.uk/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=96459&p=894071

and it looks like this

cheers

how accurate are they? a very thin tyre and a big fat one for instance over time would give different results? with the electronic breed u can set wheel diameter or some thing. whats needed is one that just records revolutions, then do a simple pi x d with a £2 calculator from ebay