West Midlands - Route advice

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
gogledd58

West Midlands - Route advice

Post by gogledd58 »

Hello,

I'm planning to ride from Wrexham (North Wales) to Coventry this weekend. My route will take me via a friends house for an overnight stop in Dudley.

Looking at Google Maps and Ride With GPS the cycle routes chosen are on canals in the area. Can anyone advise what the paths are like on the Shropshire Union Canal Main Line from near Goldstone south to Wolverhampton and on to Tipton.

The following day I'll be heading for Coventry and the suggested route is again mainly canal paths through Birmingham. Are the paths suitable for a steel touring bike?

Thanks for any advice.
Richard Fairhurst

Re: West Midlands - Route advice

Post by Richard Fairhurst »

NO NO NO NO NO NO.

Do not cycle the Shroppie. Seriously. Large parts of the 'Birmingham & Liverpool Junction' section (i.e. Nantwich-Wolverhampton) are uncyclable - some of the cuttings are often unwalkable, to be honest. The only bits of the Shoppie that I'd recommend for cycling are those which have been upgraded to NCN standard - Chester-Ellesmere Port, and the southernmost few miles before Wolverhampton.

The BCN (Birmingham Canal Navigations) is much better - the main line from Wolverhampton to Brum will be fine on a steel tourer.

Other routing engines are available and some of them are a bit less keen to route you up a muddy towpath. :)
cycle.travel - maps, journey-planner, route guides and city guides
DaveP

Post by DaveP »

Wish I had the time to give you more detailed advice, but I'm busy getting myself ready for a departure on Saturday.
Basically the towpaths between Wolverhampton and Birmingham are pretty fair, some are even classed as cycleways. On a weekend look out for angling matches. You will find a lot of hump backed bridges over backfilled private arms, and there are quite a few radar gates and motor cycle barriers. Dont think you will transit Brum at speed!
The tunnel at Coseley will be a walk, but its not long.
If you are breaking and rejoining at Tipton take the first opportunity to get the canal on your left. The other tow path comes to an abrupt halt.
When you reach Bromford Junction (fork) cross the bridge and travel along the narrow bit in the middle. The tunnel is rideable with good lights, but walk otherwise - the floor is rather uneven and sometimes shows signs of digging.
Cross the bridge at the end, the canal should now be on your right. You can follow this into the posh zone. After passing the National Indoor Arena etc turn left and proceed along the sequence of locks to Aston Junction with the water on your right. Turn left at Aston junction - water will now be on your left and proceed to Salford junction, (underneath Spaghetti junction!) bear right and continue.
That's about as far as I've been. Interesting ride if you have the time.
Have to say - Brum to Cov via canal looks like a long way round.
Good Luck!
Trying to retain enough fitness to grow old disgracefully... That hasn't changed!
robc02

Post by robc02 »

Do not cycle the Shroppie. Seriously. Large parts of the 'Birmingham & Liverpool Junction' section (i.e. Nantwich-Wolverhampton) are uncyclable - some of the cuttings are often unwalkable, to be honest

+1. I tried some of the section south of Tyrley Locks (on tourer) a while ago and gave up. Might be OK on an MTB.

The BCN (Birmingham Canal Navigations) is much better - the main line from Wolverhampton to Brum will be fine on a steel tourer.

+1 to this as well. Well worth a short detour to ride through Netherton Tunnel - take your lights!

A small group of us do this once or twice a year - starting from Shifnal, Shropshire, ride to the canal at Aldersley, lunch at Gas Street Basin, and return.
gogledd58

Post by gogledd58 »

Thanks for the responses. As suspected from my experience on other waterways tow paths some and not as cycle-friendly as suspected. I'll try rerouting with the advice given. Your advice very much appreciated.
rmurphy195

Post by rmurphy195 »

gogledd58 wrote:Hello,

I'm planning to ride from Wrexham (North Wales) to Coventry this weekend. My route will take me via a friends house for an overnight stop in Dudley.

Looking at Google Maps and Ride With GPS the cycle routes chosen are on canals in the area. Can anyone advise what the paths are like on the Shropshire Union Canal Main Line from near Goldstone south to Wolverhampton and on to Tipton.

The following day I'll be heading for Coventry and the suggested route is again mainly canal paths through Birmingham. Are the paths suitable for a steel touring bike?

Thanks for any advice.

I ride Birmingham towpaths all the time on a steel tourer, and never had any problems. Some bumpy bits here and there but I doubt you will have any problems. The Wolverhampton to Brum city centre route is much used by cyclists, a bery popular route, though last time I road it (a few years back) there were a lot of barriers across it in an attempt to keep motorbikes off it. Soif ridng a night be careful, these are usually black and they can hurt!
Brompton, Condor Heritage, creaky joints and thinning white (formerly grey) hair
""You know you're getting old when it's easier to ride a bike than to get on and off it" - quote from observant jogger !
gogledd58

Post by gogledd58 »

Richard Fairhurst wrote:NO NO NO NO NO NO.

Do not cycle the Shroppie. Seriously. Large parts of the 'Birmingham & Liverpool Junction' section (i.e. Nantwich-Wolverhampton) are uncyclable - some of the cuttings are often unwalkable, to be honest. The only bits of the Shoppie that I'd recommend for cycling are those which have been upgraded to NCN standard - Chester-Ellesmere Port, and the southernmost few miles before Wolverhampton.

Other routing engines are available and some of them are a bit less keen to route you up a muddy towpath. :)

Are you subtly suggesting cycle.travel perchance!! I saw the engine on the bottom of your post and tried routing it using this engine. Looks promising!
freiston

Post by freiston »

Not sure which way you are coming out of Birmingham or whereabouts you want to be in Coventry but I sometimes ride from north Coventry to work in Solihull. I avoid the A45 - a nasty road in my opinion. Coming from Solihull, you could go through Catherine de Barnes and take the road to Hampton in Arden and then on to Meriden. From Meriden for the west/south of the city, go on to Millisons Wood and on to Pickford Green Lane. If you want the north of the city, from Meriden take the Fillongley Road and turn right into Shafts Lane as per the blue line in the map below - this route takes a very narrow single track lane - if you prefer, there is a 'better' road via the grey route. Anywhere the other side of the city, take your pick :)

Disclaimer: Treat what I say with caution and if possible, wait for someone with more knowledge and experience to contribute. ;)
essexian

Post by essexian »

Can anyone confirm whether the Coseley Tunnel has re-opened? It was closed when I tried to use it about 9 months ago.

"Helpfully" the River and Canal trust website has not been updated for a year and still shows it closed.

https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/notice/2 ... ook-bridge

As others have said, the Wolverhampton to Birmingham route is usable unless it is raining/has rained as it turns into a mud bath.
gogledd58

Post by gogledd58 »

I forgot to report back on m trip - so making good on my promise:

First thanks to everyone for some good advice. I finally settled on a route using cycle.travel

I was very happy with the route apart from it directing me down a very muddy bridleway less than 2km from setting off. Fortunately my local knowledge was good enough to avoid this lane.
The rest of the journey was all rural roads - all the way to Telford then cycle paths through Telford and Shifnal. I guess I must have seen less than 2 dozen cars in the first 75km of my journey - that's excellent on a Saturday daytime.
The journey on the canal paths was reasonably good but one must expect slower progress with walkers, fishermen etc - but far more pleasant than the heavy traffic on the major roads.
After spending the night in Dudley I rode into Coventry on Sunday morning - again lots of canal paths, underneath Spaghetti Junction and along into the heart of Birmingham, then out through Small Heath and back onto rural roads. Coventry didn't really happen until 6km to go when I appeared out of my rural idyll and onto the final dash into the city.

Once again thanks for your help.