touring on a mtb

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Lawrie9

Post by Lawrie9 »

Argos , Tesco and Halfords are increasing going up market as well as catering for the budget end. If you look at their food and consumer electronics ranges that is their strategy to aim at every level of the market. You will see top branded bikes in their stores before long.
lisap

Post by lisap »

Mick the Bob is only designed to carry about 60lbs maximum anyway so you shouldn't really load it up more than that. Because it attaches to a QR pin through the wheel that is designed for it and being single wheel trailer it follows behind the bike putting very little stress on the actual bike itself. If you follow the packing rules and keep weight 60/40 and even either side you should be very stable. The only thing that affects it is carrying lots of water on the back.

My fellow dividers were rather extreme in their approach to riding and two in particular broke their Bobs because they were so hard on them. They both had the Yaks and just upgraded to the Ibex which with its full suspension worked perfectly.

I have never heard of anyone damaging their bike with a Bob and not all the people I rode with had expensive bikes, they were off the shelf Rocky Mountains or Marins, your typical US mountain bikes.

Spain is good I went last year via Bilbao, really enjoyed it.
pete75

Post by pete75 »

Ron wrote: Tesco and Argos cater for people who do not think before they buy, that follow fashions rather than buy product most suited to their needs.

That's an awfully big chunk of the UK population you're accusing of not thinking before they buy. Must be about 99% of us shopping there at some time or other. Must check that the milk I got yesterday is suitable for putting in tea - didn't think when I bought it. :D
byegad

Post by byegad »

In my opinion there is too much made of differences between one type of bike and another. People claim to be able to discern a 1 degree difference in frame geometry. My longest day ride was done on a Dahon Speed-Pro. My fastest half day was on an MTB with slicks fitted.
I currently own a Thorn Club Tour, a basic Phillips folder, the Speed-Pro, a Dahon Matrix, a recumbent bike and a recumbent trike.
I have ridden long distances on all of them. The difference in time taken to cover a distance is there, but if your out to enjoy the countryside should it matter if you take 5, 6 or 7 hours to cover a certain distance?
In particular the difference between say an Audax Bike and a Hybrid is more to do with tyres and rider position than frame geometry.
Don't believe me?
Try fitting your Tourer with racing wheels and tyres, the ride is harsher and faster than on touring wheels and tyres. If the racing bike had the clearances for touring wheels and tyres it would be slower and less harsh.
Ron

Post by Ron »

pete75 wrote:That's an awfully big chunk of the UK population you're accusing of not thinking before they buy. Must be about 99% of us shopping there at some time or other. Must check that the milk I got yesterday is suitable for putting in tea - didn't think when I bought it. :D

Woops, my comments were in relation to bicycle sales, although I failed to make that clear. Personally I avoid Tesco and will continue to do so until they get serviceable cycle stands outside their stores. Althought of course that might be a local problem.
pete75

Post by pete75 »

Ron wrote:
pete75 wrote:That's an awfully big chunk of the UK population you're accusing of not thinking before they buy. Must be about 99% of us shopping there at some time or other. Must check that the milk I got yesterday is suitable for putting in tea - didn't think when I bought it. :D

Woops, my comments were in relation to bicycle sales, although I failed to make that clear. Personally I avoid Tesco and will continue to do so until they get serviceable cycle stands outside their stores. Althought of course that might be a local problem.

I guessed that Ron but just couldn't resist a little sarcasm......
andymiller

Post by andymiller »

Ron wrote:Personally I avoid Tesco and will continue to do so until they get serviceable cycle stands outside their stores. Althought of course that might be a local problem.

Yep. Perfectly good cycle stands outside my local Tesco.
Mrs Tortoise

Post by Mrs Tortoise »

Don't think we have any at our local one, although I use my mtb hardtail for shopping and have done a little touring on it, with road tyres - Specialized Armadillos - well over 2000 miles now and still looking good - can't say the same about the rider! :?