teach my son cycling

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Bikebarbie

teach my son cycling

Post by Bikebarbie »

we are a really keen cycling (mtb) family but need help with teaching our 6 (and 1/2) years old son how to cycle.

Does anyone know of any instructors in Kent?

Thanks Miriam
drossall

Post by drossall »

I've no personal knowledge, but try the CTC site, especially the right-hand links on that page.
stevew

Post by stevew »

Hi Miriam,

See you have found your way here. It's a good forum and will help you I'm sure.

Does anyone know where to find a good written description of the pedal-less technique for teaching kids ?

I think this alone could be the answer.

Regards
SW
drossall

Post by drossall »

I assumed that Miriam was looking for cycle skills rather than basic balancing.

On balancing, Bicycle Victoria have a page, and there is a good piece of real experience in the Guardian. There's more on QuickRelease.tv. Kids vary - my son was off stabilisers at 3 1/2, but his sister was less keen to try it and took till 6 1/2.
MLJ

Post by MLJ »

I taught my son to ride by supporting the saddle: he could not tell when I let go of it! The pedalless method is to lower the saddle and remove the pedals, effectively turning the cycle into a 'hobby horse'. This allows steering, braking and balance to be learnt naturally as the child scoots with both feet on the ground. Later the pedals are restored and the saddle gradually raised to the correct height.
Jones

Teaching children to ride

Post by Jones »

In my experience all children will learn at a different rate. My son was riding confidently without stabilisers at age 5. I took him to our local park one evening, found a large open grassed area with a gentle gradient, gave him a push and he was off. My daughter who is aged nearly 7 now still cannot ride and shows no interest in doing so. However, she does love cycling and goes on the tandem or triplet - which is the answer to enjoying cycling trips if you have either one or two children with you.

For balance practice you could try taking the cranks off a small bike and lowering the saddle.
Fonant

Post by Fonant »

We have 2.5 year old twins with Early Rider bikes (wooden "hobby-horse" style, two wheels, saddle, steering, but nothing else).

Molly took to hers like a duck to water, and now can scoot some distance without touching the ground, especially if slightly downhill. She also quickly mastered stopping with her feet, and can confidently descend medium gradients. It takes something between a brisk walk and a jog to keep up with her at full speed.

Tom, on the other hand, is more nervous (perhaps because his shorter legs mean he started with more weight on the bike) and hasn't learnt to scoot yet. He can make progress, but doesn't enjoy it as much.

So, from our limited experience, keeping things simple to start with (no brakes, gears, or pedals) seems to work very well - at least for little people.
Anthony Cartmell (also known as "admin" when posting in a more official capacity on this Forum)
Kangaroo trike, Windcheetah recumbent, Batavus dutch bike, Dawes Galaxy Twin tandem, Pashley unicycle
http://www.fonant.com – Quality web sites.
Michael

teach my son cycling

Post by Michael »

I learnt the old fashioned way. The way the Victorians and Edwardian's were taught to ride. Have use this method for years to teach children to ride without ever fitting stabilisers. This works especially well with special needs children. I have a severely autistic son and this is the way we taught him how to ride along with a lot of his classmates. First thing to do is to remove the pedals from the bike and lower the saddle so that the child can comfortably place both feet firmly on the ground. Next let the child use the bike as in the way of old fashioned hobby horse, so that they can propel themselves with their feet and get their balance without the use of pedals. Once they have got enough speed up they soon raise their feet up from the ground and are away. Once they have mastered this put the pedals on and they are away.
Can anyone now tell me how now to teach autistic children how to use brakes instead of using their feet!
Good luck and best wishes Mick
Cyril Haearn

Re: teach my son cycling

Post by Cyril Haearn »

A back-pedal brake is much better than rim brakes, for children too
TRA thread resurrection alert :wink:
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
johnjo

Re: teach my son cycling

Post by johnjo »

Although it seems counterintuitive to the learner, advise them that they should steer in the same direction as they feel they are falling. It works and is the basics of balancing a bike. Once mastered these micro-adjustments are constantly made intuitively to maintain an upright position while moving forward.