Trike conversion kit

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
deliquium

Re: Trike conversion kit

Post by deliquium »

Supercadet wrote:Just wondering what riding a Roman Road tandemtrike is like to ride. I ride a tandem now but other half has just had hip replacement and is not to keen to ride tandem again.

I think I'm correct in thinking https://www.anturwaunfawr.org/en/beics-antur/ in Caernarfon, North Wales, have one which they rent out?

But equally my memory could be playing tricks on me, so apologies if I'm mistaken :roll:
Current pedalable joys

"you would be surprised at the number of people in these parts who nearly are half people and half bicycles"
9494arnold

Post by 9494arnold »

The Chris Paulson is e bay item Bay item number:183841254677. It's in Dudley (which I assume is the West Midlands Dudley) and it's got 4 days to go
21 1/2" Frame, good spec, tidy looking machine from photos.New tyres.
I have no connection with seller.
I am not far away and would happily accompany anyone not familiar with trikes for a viewing (I am a TA Member and own/ride 4 different trikes and have been a trikie for years. I am half way through restoring a trike for a friend ) :shock:
tatanab

Post by tatanab »

Roman Road is no longer trading and the family have relocated. Used ones appear on eBay from time to time.

2 front wheel trikes tend to be more intuitive for bicyclists to ride. 2 rear wheel machines take much more adapting to. I have 50 years of riding trikes, and about 30 years ago I had a 2 front wheel machine. I found it unsteady at speed. 25mph was about the sane limit on a good surface, and on a poorly surfaced lane I had to ride much more slowly than I would on my 2 rear wheeled machines.
9494arnold

Post by 9494arnold »

Minus one for what Tantanab said about 2 front wheels. Scary sums it up for me . And I don't scare easily! :lol:
KM2

Post by KM2 »

Ever considered something like a Hase Ketwiesel? Comfy seat and balance problems solved.
9494arnold

Post by 9494arnold »

A rogers "hiding" on e Bay
Item 183843033960
I have no affiliation with vendor.
Sid Aluminium

Post by Sid Aluminium »

No personal experience, but it seems to me that a purpose-built machine has the potential for more secure handling vis-a-vis a conversion. With no concern for pedal strike when cornering a trike, the bottom bracket could be placed lower, lowering the rider's CG.
9494arnold

Post by 9494arnold »

Spot on. Some machines that have been Trikes"from birth" so to speak do indeed have lower brackets and would never work as a bike .
tatanab

Post by tatanab »

Supercadet wrote:Just wondering what riding a Roman Road tandemtrike is like to ride. I ride a tandem now but other half has just had hip replacement and is not to keen to ride tandem again.

One has cropped up on eBay. I think it has been on there previously. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Claud-Butler ... 1438.l2649
pjclinch

Post by pjclinch »

KM2 wrote:Ever considered something like a Hase Ketwiesel? Comfy seat and balance problems solved.

I was going to suggest this too. It resizes easily for taller riders, and being German tends to make freer assumptions about values of "tall". They're a good mix of fun and practical.

Pete.
Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...
climo

Post by climo »

What's wrong with a recumbent trike? I've got balance problems and a 'bent makes cycling possible plus in the event of a fall you don't have far to go.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

As has been mentioned - upright trikes have a habit of throwing experienced bike riders into the hedge.

Don’t rule out a ‘bent trike though. I’ve PMed you (as someone else with a serious balance condition)
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.