Bike to dog attachments - whats good ?

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
greyingbeard

Bike to dog attachments - whats good ?

Postby greyingbeard » 3 Aug 2015, 6:42pm

I want one of the stick things that clamps to the bike and holds a dogs lead so I can tire the naughty thing out a bit.
Whats good ? what works, what doesnt ?
Holding lead in hand while trying to cycle doesnt work. Tried it on a track, dog pulled one way, then the other, then sat down in front of wheel making me fall off.

maff1977

Re: Bike to dog attachments - whats good ?

Postby maff1977 » 3 Aug 2015, 6:47pm

get off the bike and go for walk with it? :lol:

mjr

Postby mjr » 3 Aug 2015, 6:58pm

I've never tried it (no dog) but I understand that you need a special "shock absorber lead" which has a bit of elastic in it so the dog can't suddenly yank your handlebars. They sell the same sort of thing for joggers/runners but I don't know if they're exactly the same. I suspect you may also need a pretty well-trained dog! :-)
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.

[XAP]Bob

Postby [XAP]Bob » 3 Aug 2015, 7:23pm

I have dutch friends who just hold on - they are quite prepared to let go of the lead if Andy gets too vigorous, but he pulls them up hills quite nicely.

The other style that looks like it has merit is the chainstay mounted versions, at least the pull from the dog will be relatviely controllable down there.
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.

Bonefishblues

Postby Bonefishblues » 3 Aug 2015, 7:55pm

Interested in this for our mutt!

nez

Postby nez » 3 Aug 2015, 8:07pm

A whistle?

reohn2

Postby reohn2 » 3 Aug 2015, 8:12pm

Dog sees bitch on heat/cat/ball/insert dog attractive thing,and you end on the floor whilst possibly strangling the dog.
I once saw a hipster with two dogs on leads,one in each hand,riding on the pavement,in the middle of Knutsford.
I felt like following him,it was inevitable :? :lol: ......
-----------------------------------------------------------
I cycle therefore I am.

mjr

Postby mjr » 3 Aug 2015, 8:16pm

reohn2 wrote:Dog sees bitch on heat/cat/ball/insert dog attractive thing,and you end on the floor whilst possibly strangling the dog.
I once saw a hipster with two dogs on leads,one in each hand,riding on the pavement,in the middle of Knutsford.

One more time: "Taking the dog for a walk by bike is not dangerous"
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.

Psamathe

Postby Psamathe » 3 Aug 2015, 8:28pm

Quite a few "practices" they say are not dangerous are also highly criticised even here (ignoring the helmet/hi-vis ones). I'm no expert so cannot pass judgement as to the real risks some things described as safe but I would wonder about some.

Ian

nez

Postby nez » 3 Aug 2015, 8:29pm

Looking at that site makes me think the author is dreaming. I was knocked off my bike on a cycle path by a young woman who was using an iPod. The sound drowned my shouts I guess, while her eyes were fixed on machine's screen. She ran straight into me, despite the fact I'd stopped by that stage.

[XAP]Bob

Postby [XAP]Bob » 3 Aug 2015, 8:36pm

And obviously the collision was fatal.

I'd be a bit concerned about hanging to a dog's lead, but only in that I never quite completely trust dogs - hence my friend's approach of "we're quite prepared to let go"
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.

nez

Postby nez » 3 Aug 2015, 8:37pm

Actually it hurt. It's unlike you to be sarcastic.

Tacascarow

Postby Tacascarow » 3 Aug 2015, 8:41pm

mjr wrote:
reohn2 wrote:Dog sees bitch on heat/cat/ball/insert dog attractive thing,and you end on the floor whilst possibly strangling the dog.

That depends on the dog.
A friend of mine used to take his lurcher for long runs via his bike.
The dog was steady off the lead in traffic, ignored other dogs, travelled hundreds of miles running alongside his master.
Then one day a rabbit ran across the road & the dog decided to go through the bike, not around it. Luckily only cuts & bruises to both.
I take mine on trails around here but I moderate my speed to ensure accidents like the one I've described don't happen.

reohn2

Postby reohn2 » 3 Aug 2015, 8:50pm

mjr wrote:

Yeah right.

I get tired of dog owners who think they know their dog,when they know squat.
I've seen some of the most stupidest of things dog owners do,stretchy leads being just one example.
Cycling with one on a lead tied to the bike is plain daft,at least if the rider holds the lead they stand a chance if they have to let go,though it increases the danger for others when the dog runs in front of a car/bicycle/attacks another dog or a cat,etc.
I won't be convinced it's a sane practice.
-----------------------------------------------------------
I cycle therefore I am.

[XAP]Bob

Postby [XAP]Bob » 3 Aug 2015, 8:51pm

nez dans le guidon wrote:Actually it hurt. It's unlike you to be sarcastic.

Sarcasm rarely comes over well in text...

The point being that actually the amount of danger was relatively small. I've been to A&E because I was involved in a collision - between two pedestrians.
Try making one of the participants mass over a ton and the situation changes - that's what's truly dangerous, not a cyclist adjusting an iPod.

Of course I don't condone the actions of the lady in question - but it's the failure to pay attention, not the iPod in particular, which is/was the problem.
In both instances on the blog the iPod/iPhone is brought up to eye level, and peripheral vision is therefore continuing to operate (in much the same way as when I look in my mirror I can still see what's ahead). In the UK I tend to see people doing this at their navel - which eliminates any visibility of anything - that's stupid.