Bike to dog attachments - whats good ?

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
mjr

Re: Bike to dog attachments - whats good ?

Post by mjr »

merseymouth wrote:Even without a dog doing 25 mph on a shared use facility is ill advised, not what the track was created for.

Probably not in England (sadly), but it's what it should have been created for. National guidance says commuter routes should be designed for 20mph average and to get that average, you'd be going quicker sometimes to compensate for slowing for junctions and so on.

I don't own a dog, nor would I inflict my lifestyle on any animal, but neither do I wish for others who make poor choices endanger my safety!

At least when a dog is on a bike-lead, we can see the lead (unlike those extending thin strings), we can be pretty sure the dog isn't going to go the other side of the bike and the dog will probably have spent so much time alongside a whirring bike that it'll find ours much less interesting. Does more doggy cycling really reduce our safety?
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
merseymouth

Post by merseymouth »

Hi Again, So one can see a proper dog lead attached to a cycle? Sorry chum, not around here, they can't even see the extra width of a tricycle, then further compound the issue by saying that I "Shouldn't be on a bike here", when I'm on a cycle path! On that score Doggy Folk are by some large way the worst!

But why have we not had the "Forum Legal Rottweilers" on here, clarifying the legal situation? Were I to tether a child to the side of a cycle in such a fashion - "He/She like a run out"!, boy would there be an outcry! Remember one can even be prosecuted for being "Drunk in charge of a perambulator"!

The NSPCC would certainly have something to say in regards to the practice and rightly so.

But then again the Animal charities get far more in their coffers than child related ones do?

Barking Mad. MM
Edwards

Post by Edwards »

merseymouth before making such statements you would be advised to make a few enquiries first. Otherwise you may appear a bit of the mark.

The picture shown was taken on a road as you can clearly see, so your unhelpful thoughts about cycle tracks do not apply.
It was a closed road with not motor vehicles allowed at the time (Note the TDF on the T shirt), so your thoughts about roads and motor traffic do not apply.
The attachment has a quick release if there is to much load on it. This was set to allow the lead to separate with not much force. No danger to the dog only to me falling of with the side pull.
The attachment is such that the dog can not get in front of the front wheel without pulling the attachment apart and then I would have to slow down sharply to get it to seperate.

I do not care if you accept these points or not. The reason I have posted this is to explain to those with a more open mind that some dog owners do think about there actions in relation to their dogs.

I feel I must apologise to the OP for allowing myself to get involved in this nonsense when all he asked was a simple question about the best and safe way to let a dog join along in with them riding a bike.
Keith Edwards
I do not care about spelling and grammar
Postboxer

Post by Postboxer »

Near the bottom of this

http://data.ncvo.org.uk/a/almanac12/wha ... le-giving/

is a chart showing donations by type, animal charities got 6% of the total amount in 2010/11 children, 11% but not sure how they separate what's a children's charity compared to some of the other categories that may also benefit children, medical research, health, hospitals, schools, sports etc, although maybe the schools one is private school fees? Got curious as I think they mentioned this on QI so thought I'd check the figures.
Ant

Post by Ant »

Check out this maniac. He's public enemy number one. He and his crazy dog are a menace to society. Somebody really ought to inform the Daily mail.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U3z_uUU1WY0

Oh, hang on a minute. It's fine, he's an American. We're still safe!
Last edited by Ant on 4 Aug 2015, 8:11pm, edited 2 times in total.
greyingbeard

Post by greyingbeard »

its easy to tell a happy dog
wags tail, jumps about with excitement, grins showing lots of teeth, pulls on lead, looks at owner as if to say come on daddy I want more.
They have similar facial expressions to ours
if cycling were cruel the dog would let everyone know

Grrrr, leaflet boy.
greyingbeard

Post by greyingbeard »

Ant wrote:Check out this maniac. He's public enemy number one. He and his crazy dog a are menace to society. Somebody really ought to inform the Daily mail.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U3z_uUU1WY0

Oh, hang on a minute. It's fine, he's an American. We're still safe!

A video to explain how to do up 2 bolts. Just the thing for the average american consumer :lol:
Ant

Post by Ant »

Yes they can be a bit special can't they! But he's making a living so fair play to him. Plus, Stella was very cute.
colin54

Post by colin54 »

Rider goes one side of a pedestrian, dog goes the other side at cycling speed, likely outcome.........? Not good.
Nu-Fogey
Edwards

Post by Edwards »

colin54 wrote:Rider goes one side of a pedestrian, dog goes the other side at cycling speed, likely outcome.........? Not good.

But if the rider shows proper consideration to the pedestrians and the dog that is not very likely to happen (proper consideration is stop if needed). Only an idiot would ride at speed near pedestrians on a bike, it would take a bigger idiot to do so with a dog attached. Speed can be achieved in suitable places (a closed road with good visibility).

If that does happen with a proper attachment then the Velcro or other release works and no injuries or damage done.
Keith Edwards
greyingbeard

Post by greyingbeard »

cat - CAT !!!

:twisted:
Edwards

Post by Edwards »

greyingbeard wrote:cat - CAT !!!

Sorry I do not understand this.
Keith Edwards
mjr

Post by mjr »

Edwards wrote:

I think the suggestion is that your dog is so ill-trained that it will chase other animals and drag your bike along the road sideways like something out of a Marmaduke cartoon.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Edwards

Post by Edwards »

mjr wrote:
Edwards wrote:

I think the suggestion is that your dog is so ill-trained that it will chase other animals and drag your bike along the road sideways like something out of a Marmaduke cartoon.

That is not something I have ever encountered. I only got involved in this thread to try and explain the photo of me and out dog in the context that it was taken.
I seem to have been doing a lot of defensive posts to a subject that I did not start. I am now left wondering why I bothered.

I can only state that I have never had a problem with the system. I ride slowly past any other persons and cyclists I meet. I do not drag the dog along but spent most of my time getting her to slow down.
If you want to use one of these devices you must show consideration to the dog and all others you meet. This is not suitable for a club run but for a recreational trip for the dog. You are only there to help the dog enjoy itself. Your enjoyment do not come on to this at all, but if you enjoy doing things with the dog and making them happy, then they are useful.
Keith Edwards
mjr

Post by mjr »

Edwards wrote:This is not suitable for a club run but for a recreational trip for the dog.

The mental image of a dog walker/biker turning up to the local club 10 mile time trial has just replaced the mental image of me turning up in shirt and tie on one of my roadsters. :lol: