Page 1 of 2

Isle of Wight Chain Ferry

Posted: 3 Aug 2015, 10:16pm
by Tourist
Just to let you all know it now cost 40p for foot passengers and cyclists to use the ferry.
It is a flat rate of 40p for a return ticket.

Isle of Wight Chain Ferry

Posted: 4 Aug 2015, 6:52am
by Heltor Chasca
Hooray! Now the ferry man can afford to smile Only miserable basket I met on the whole island doing a tour this Spring....b

Edit: Will he accept £20 notes?

Re: Isle of Wight Chain Ferry

Posted: 4 Aug 2015, 7:01pm
by Wesh-Laurence
Where does this ferry run to/from?

I'm assuming it's an "internal" ferry somewhere on the island.

Re: Isle of Wight Chain Ferry

Posted: 4 Aug 2015, 7:18pm
by Heltor Chasca
Wesh-Laurence wrote:Where does this ferry run to/from?

I'm assuming it's an "internal" ferry somewhere on the island.


It's over the river in Cowes. I loved it when I did my little tour in the spring. Proper adventure stuff. It's held together with elastic bands and wire.

Re: Isle of Wight Chain Ferry

Posted: 4 Aug 2015, 7:27pm
by Samuel D
Get saving, folks!

Re: Isle of Wight Chain Ferry

Posted: 4 Aug 2015, 8:29pm
by TonyR
Samuel D wrote:Get saving, folks!


No need. You can always cycle round via Newport.

Re: Isle of Wight Chain Ferry

Posted: 4 Aug 2015, 9:09pm
by Mike Sales
Reminds me of the old joke.

What's brown and steams backwards out of Cowes?

Re: Isle of Wight Chain Ferry

Posted: 5 Aug 2015, 5:14am
by bikes4two
I used this ferry last week - the ticket is 40p as stated and can be used twice in either direction (so 'returning' or going the same direction twice - if that makes sense) and the ticket is valid indefinitely.

I think in the long term there will be ticket machines, but last week the tickets were dispensed by a very cheerful and helpful lady.

These chain link ferries are simple machines and if you've not traveled on one before - then do it for the fun of it. The crossing time is just a few minutes

Re: Isle of Wight Chain Ferry

Posted: 5 Aug 2015, 5:22pm
by jgurney
bikes4two wrote:These chain link ferries are simple machines and if you've not traveled on one before - then do it for the fun of it.


Others are at Sandbanks, Dorset, Trelissick, Cornwall ('King Harry Ferry'), Torpoint, Devon/Cornwall, Dartmouth, Devon, Windermere, or Reedham, Norfolk.

For a more unusual bike-on-bigger-vehicle trip, try taking a bike on the Southsea - Ryde hovercraft, the only remaining hovercraft service in Europe. Bikes are carried in luggage bays with external doors, known as 'panniers' - probably the only occasion a bike can be in a pannier.

Re: Isle of Wight Chain Ferry

Posted: 5 Aug 2015, 5:37pm
by ferrit worrier
Mike Sales wrote:Reminds me of the old joke.

What's brown and steams backwards out of Cowes?

:D
the isle of Wight ferry

Re: Isle of Wight Chain Ferry

Posted: 6 Aug 2015, 12:47am
by Redvee
When I took my bike across I think it was FOC, might be wrong as it was many years ago when the TDF was in Portsmouth.

Re: Isle of Wight Chain Ferry

Posted: 6 Aug 2015, 7:03am
by Heltor Chasca
Redvee wrote:When I took my bike across I think it was FOC, might be wrong as it was many years ago when the TDF was in Portsmouth.


You are correct: it USED to be FOC. Now we have to save up agressively

Re: Isle of Wight Chain Ferry

Posted: 6 Aug 2015, 11:21am
by Samuel D
TonyR wrote:
Samuel D wrote:Get saving, folks!


No need. You can always cycle round via Newport.

I don’t mind admitting this really cracked me up!

Re: Isle of Wight Chain Ferry

Posted: 6 Aug 2015, 1:42pm
by stewartpratt
jgurney wrote:Others are at Sandbanks, Dorset, Trelissick, Cornwall ('King Harry Ferry'), Torpoint, Devon/Cornwall, Dartmouth, Devon, Windermere, or Reedham, Norfolk.


Thanks for that list. Wasn't a huge fan of the roads into Falmouth when I was last down there so Trelissick looks like a nice alternative for next time :)

Re: Isle of Wight Chain Ferry

Posted: 6 Aug 2015, 1:48pm
by Graham
jgurney wrote:For a more unusual bike-on-bigger-vehicle trip, try taking a bike on the Southsea - Ryde hovercraft, the only remaining hovercraft service in Europe.
Bikes are carried in luggage bays with external doors, known as 'panniers' - probably the only occasion a bike can be in a pannier.

I've been keen to try the hovercraft over the past few years, only to remember that the bicycle is pretty much guaranteed to be sprayed with seawater, from departure to arrival.