Walt ormsby cycles Leeds

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Greywheels

Walt ormsby cycles Leeds

Post by Greywheels »

Hi trying to find any information on this frame builder ,just aquired a 1950s frame that has been resprayed ,no decals,virtually no information or pictures on line.
colin54

Re: Walt ormsby cycles Leeds

Post by colin54 »

You could try contacting Bob Jackson's in Leeds, they might have re-finished one in the past, if it's colour schemes/ transfers that you're after.Worth a try.

http://www.bobjacksoncycles.co.uk/default.php
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Information here

http://www.classiclightweights.co.uk/bu ... lders.html

"When I was a lad" Walt Ormsby's shop was just a short walk from JRJ (as Bob Jackson's was then known) and Woodrupp's.
Greywheels

Post by Greywheels »

colin54 wrote:You could try contacting Bob Jackson's in Leeds, they might have re-finished one in the past, if it's colour schemes/ transfers that you're after.Worth a try.

http://www.bobjacksoncycles.co.uk/default.php

Thanks will try this lead and post results
Greywheels

Post by Greywheels »

thirdcrank wrote:Information here

http://www.classiclightweights.co.uk/bu ... lders.html

"When I was a lad" Walt Ormsby's shop was just a short walk from JRJ (as Bob Jackson's was then known) and Woodrupp's.

This is the only site with info I found too,contacted the writer Bill Ives and the information he has is fairly limited too ,one thing that turned up was the bike frame (208)mentioned in the piece is the one I have so some history to it,the hunt will continue.
colin54

Post by colin54 »

Not wanting to drift the thread too much, but here is the old JRJ premises that Third Crank mentions, I live on the same road and ride a Bob Jackson , but built

elsewhere in Leeds ( Harehills Rd ).I believe the old place pictured here, was near where the Little Park pub used to be.Was it where they

built the Methodist Church ( LHS going down the hill ) or the other side of Hyde Park Rd ; do you remember Third Crank ?

http://www.leodis.org/display.aspx?reso ... 8_55384463

The user comments ( under the enlarged version of the photograph ) are a nice snapshot of this area's history.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

My memories of those days are a bit vague - my dear old dad used to trail me around there when he was visiting his younger bro who lived on the (now long-demolished Newton Street) or several of his tropical fish breeding chums who lived in Leeds 4. We left Leeds in 1954, just after my ninth birthday although we used to visit Leeds frequently on Saturdays to trail round his haunts. I didn't learn to ride a bike till I was 13, when we lived in Castleford.

My clearest memory, I think, is of Walt Ormsby's being on the left going up Hyde Park Road and I'd not have been sure about JRJ although that Leodis pic (what a great site it is btw I've added my own comments to several pics over the years and there's one on there of my great grandmother who was born in 1870 and died in 1957) is very clearly on the opposite side.

I don't remember much about Woodrupp's before they moved to their current address on Kirkstall Road, which isn't far from Burley Lodge Road, of course. They did used to have another shop in North Lane, Headingley, which was more of a toy shop than lightweight cycles. I only know that because when we moved back to Leeds, my mother managed a shop just a few doors away.

A lot of waffle which says little about WO, whose business seems to have faded away. In contrast, Bob J became ever more successful, moving to Harehills and then the business seemed to change hands, possibly a couple of times, moving first to Dewsbury Road and then Station Parade in Bramley, where it is now, although the shop has been closed a while. Woodrupp's has more or less stayed put and been handed down from father to son.

Perhaps this will prompt somebody else who knoews to comment :D
colin54

Post by colin54 »

Thanks TC, I've just had a trawl through the Leodis Hyde Park Rd images, to see if there were any more pictures of Walt Ormsby's shop no luck. That's a pretty detailed article

in Classic Lightweights anyway.
pete75

Post by pete75 »

colin54 wrote:Not wanting to drift the thread too much, but here is the old JRJ premises that Third Crank mentions, I live on the same road and ride a Bob Jackson , but built

elsewhere in Leeds ( Harehills Rd ).I believe the old place pictured here, was near where the Little Park pub used to be.Was it where they

built the Methodist Church ( LHS going down the hill ) or the other side of Hyde Park Rd ; do you remember Third Crank ?

http://www.leodis.org/display.aspx?reso ... 8_55384463

The user comments ( under the enlarged version of the photograph ) are a nice snapshot of this area's history.

The Little Park is the long building behind the phone box. I think it's flats now. There's a Methodist chapel next door where JRJ was.
All the pubs round there seemed to be something Park, Royal Park, Hyde Park Little Park.

I've a frame from another Leeds builder Bernard Macklam. No idea where his premises were though - bought it off Ebay about 5 years ago but think it may be a rebadged Orbit as Orbit cast into the metal at the top of the seat stays.
colin54

Post by colin54 »

Thanks Pete.
alicat

Post by alicat »

There was a Macklam's cycle shop in Crossgates, the shop was the left on the dual carriageway feeding into the A64 near to Seacroft Hospital. I bought my first bike there in 1979. I have a feeling the owner was a Macklam but not Bernard.