Newbie considering cycling in London - help!

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
edocaster

Re: Newbie considering cycling in London - help!

Post by edocaster »

wilde2 wrote:Thank you, yes that was what I meant - it looks quite a long/complicated route, so I thought a sat nav might help if I went wrong. Out of interest, why would you not recommend this? Thank very much for your suggestions re TFL, I will do that.

Because the options in London for bikes can be quite wide (road, shared-use pavement, dedicated cycle lane, canal towpath, park, etc) compared to a car, if you're relying on turn-by-turn instructions things can get confusing. I can certainly think of a few junctions where it makes a lot more sense to devote all your senses to what's around you.

Plus, if you're commuting you probably need to learn the route by heart eventually anyway. If you get a little lost on a dry run it's probably good experience as it will give you a better feel for alternative routes too (which helps stave off boredom).
drossall

Post by drossall »

I've been cycling for decades, but only in London for the last year when I got a job at Angel. Most of my riding is therefore not quite in the centre, but I've found it no problem if you plan a route as above.

For Audax riding, I use an old Etrex HCx GPS. So when I wanted to find my way out east for a meeting, or into the Oxford Road area, or across to near the Albert Hall, I put an extra GPS mount on the folder. It's fine. It doesn't do any of the next turn nonsense, just gives me basic mapping with a line to follow. I prepare the track in advance on one of the sites mentioned previously.
Philip Benstead

Post by Philip Benstead »

drossall wrote:I've been cycling for decades, but only in London for the last year when I got a job at Angel. Most of my riding is therefore not quite in the centre, but I've found it no problem if you plan a route as above.

For Audax riding, I use an old Etrex HCx GPS. So when I wanted to find my way out east for a meeting, or into the Oxford Road area, or across to near the Albert Hall, I put an extra GPS mount on the folder. It's fine. It doesn't do any of the next turn nonsense, just gives me basic mapping with a line to follow. I prepare the track in advance on one of the sites mentioned previously.

A smartphone is usful to tell where you are , plus TfL map https://tfl.gov.uk/forms/12419.aspx to suggest some routes , the rest is a brain and a sence of direction and to know which way is north.
Philip Benstead | Life Member Former CTC Councillor/Trustee
Organizing events and representing cyclists' in southeast since 1988
Bikeability Instructor/Mechanic
drossall

Post by drossall »

I do that too, but sense of direction is more help getting back to familiar territory than going somewhere you've never been before :lol:
maxcherry

Post by maxcherry »

Get a Garmin :) with the maps. Works for me
Honestly chaps, I'm a female!
Heltor Chasca

Post by Heltor Chasca »

maxcherry wrote:Get a Garmin :) with the maps. Works for me

+1 I can't be doing with the rate that batteries on smart phones & iPhones drain. My Garmin has been great. And from experience when I commuted in London for 5 years and 22 miles most days you soon know the place backwards so you can save your Garmin for trips afar. Which WILL happen once the bike bug bites! [emoji48]

[I didn't use sat nav in my commuting days]
stephenjubb

Post by stephenjubb »

bovlomov wrote:My advice for cycling in London is this: There'll always be other cyclists passing you - more skilled, faster, stronger, more reckless, more stupid, more law-breaking, luckier... - take no notice of these and cycle at exactly your own pace, making your own choices. The bloke in front has just whizzed between two buses, but you don't need to.

It sounds bleeding obvious, but it's worth thinking about. Peer pressure is a major influence on cyclists, and if we see everyone else passing us, bending the odd bye-law, breaking a few more, it takes a lot of self-control not to follow. Especially in London, where there are so many other riders to 'learn' from.

great answer and never go down the side of lorries or buses especially with railings and no escape route like some do and pay the price
mike_dowler

Post by mike_dowler »

My preferred route is via King St and Queen St to Southwark bridge, which has a nice cycle lane. Then right into Southwark St, right on Blackfriars Road then immediate left to go along the South Bank. Through St Thomas' hospital and over Westminster bridge. From Parliament Square it's fairly easy to get to Victoria. Should take about half an hour.

For planning, use http://cycle.travel
maxcherry

Post by maxcherry »

Or if you want to be like one of those modern London chaps (with a bowler hat, tilted to the side)

One can check your emails and listen to radio 4 thanks to speakers (sub woofer extra) and check the weather while on the go 8)

just watch out for those pesky singing street urchins
Honestly chaps, I'm a female!
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

The discussion about hearing in traffic has been split off from this thread. Please refrain from continuing that discussion here. The new thread is viewtopic.php?f=1&t=99252&p=924424#p924424

“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
mjr

Post by mjr »

The only point from the headphone diversion that I want to bring back here is: there's enough people demonstrating that even cycling around London like a complete prat seems to be mostly harmless.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
bovlomov

Post by bovlomov »

mjr wrote:The only point from the headphone diversion that I want to bring back here is: there's enough people demonstrating that even cycling around London like a complete prat seems to be mostly harmless.

[see London Cycle Hire Scheme]

Amazing but true! As I've said before...

A load of people on unfamiliar bicycles; sometimes unfamiliar with riding any bike; frequently unfamiliar with the law; often unfamiliar with the city, sometimes with the country; unfamiliar with passing on the left... it sounds like a recipe for a bloodbath. It hasn't been, with several million journeys made.
mjr

Post by mjr »

And indeed, most of the complete prats I'm talking about aren't on the hire bikes. :lol: I even wish some of them were because the heaviness would probably slow them down, sitting more upright might encourage them to look around more and the obvious width of the swept bars might stop them thinking "I can fit through there" about some pretty silly gaps.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
bovlomov

Post by bovlomov »

mjr wrote:And indeed, most of the complete prats I'm talking about aren't on the hire bikes. :lol:

So why aren't there more accidents? That's the mystery. Is it that drivers are often more accommodating of cyclists' behaviour than they are given credit for?
mjr

Post by mjr »

bovlomov wrote:So why aren't there more accidents? That's the mystery. Is it that drivers are often more accommodating of cyclists' behaviour than they are given credit for?

ITYM collisions. Aren't they given credit? Most motorists are pretty accommodating and so are most cyclists. It's a minority that deliberately, carelessly or recklessly cause a disproportionate number of problems, which I suspect includes most of the non-collision ones and a lot of what gets famous online. "Near misses can range from rudeness (or apologetic kindness!) to almost-collisions." There are also some caused by people who just make a mistake.