A46 near Newark (to Lincoln) - Cycle path?

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
DavidT

A46 near Newark (to Lincoln) - Cycle path?

Post by DavidT »

I know the area reasonably well, but not well enough and would like to know if there is a cycle path parrallel with the A46 southbound from Brough to Winthorpe roundabout (off which is the excellent Newark Air Museum of course). That's only a mile section but it would be useful to know, as a potential alternative from going through Stapleford Wood when I'm in that area.

In fact a brief resume of cycle paths along the length of the Newark-Lincoln A46 would be of interest. Nice lanes around there of course, but an "A46" option may be useful when wanting to make a bit of more linear progress.

Thanks
gaz

Re: A46 near Newark (to Lincoln) - Cycle path?

Post by gaz »

According to Streetview there wasn't one in October 2012.
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
DavidT

Post by DavidT »

Yes, but what's on the other side of the hedge?

Google maps, aerial view (not linked because I'm not clever enough) shows some sort of track. At a guess it's probably part of the field system, i.e. private. However it does join with slip/access roads, and there are adjacent cycle paths put in further towards Lincoln, when the road was widened so I don't want to automatically rule out the possibility that there may be a cycle path here too.
neilob

Post by neilob »

There is no direct cycle path from Brough to the Winthorpe roundabout. As you say, the 'safe' route is via Stapleford Woods, over the A17 at the roundabout to Coddington, turn right at the pub, cross over the A17 again at a staggered junction, follow the road past the Air Museum and the Showground to Winthorpe roundabout. About seven miles I guess? My experince says it is ok however to ride the A46 for that mile if you really need to make it fast but avoid rush hour. We are so blessed in this area with quiet and safe lanes so getting between Lincoln and Newark shouldn't be a challenge and I wouldnt go via Brough anyway!
Using a car to take an adult on a three mile journey is the same as using an atomic bomb to kill a canary.
neilob

Post by neilob »

Alternatively, you can go over the Brough viaduct (above the A46) and continue to the T-junction south of Collingham. Take a left on the A1133 and then first right (after about 0.5 mile) is a bike route through Holme and Winthorpe village to Newark.
Using a car to take an adult on a three mile journey is the same as using an atomic bomb to kill a canary.
DavidT

Post by DavidT »

Thanks Neilob. A good clarification :D