First Cycle Camping Tour - ideas needed for NW England

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Tangled Metal

First Cycle Camping Tour - ideas needed for NW England

Post by Tangled Metal »

I want to try out cycle touring for the first time and want to camp too. Got all the gear needed since we do other outdoors activities with a lot of crossover. The only trouble is we can't come up with a good idea for a short trip. We are looking at a simple weekend out and back trip, perhaps adding a Friday afternoon ride and night into the mix.

Anyone got any ideas for the route? We are ideally looking for ideas for the approx route and places to camp (campsite only no wildcamping). We are based in the NW England so can get to Dales, Lakes and even Northumberland easily. The idea would either be something very local (Lakes) with a transfer up there by train into Windermere or perhaps the Barrow Train. Alternatively drive somewhere and leave the car somewhere (hopefully somewhere safe) so we can explore a new area. We prefer quiet lanes so perhaps the Lakes is out because I can not see decent circular routes that do not take us onto main Lakes through routes. I know the roads well in the Lakes and don't fancy riding them on this tour for a good reason.

One last thing, taking a child so we are really talking 20 miles per day only. A real limiter on the route hence our problem but we wouldn't have it any other way.
mrjemm

Re: First Cycle Camping Tour - ideas needed for NW England

Post by mrjemm »

Watching this with interest... last weekend but one did a 1 night jaunt out that way, amd though we had a really nice time, using the back paths, when unable to avoid the main roads, e.g. between Grasmere and Thirlmere, it was grim dealing with the traffic; coming down hill into Grasmere in the rain on way back was quite unnerving, with cars going wayyy too fast for conditions, and getting far too close.

We had also thought to take Barrow train, and a bit further up the Cumbrian coast, perhaps NW Cumbria/Solway way, but train times were not great.

Last year (?) did a short one around Kielder, which was a far more relaxing environment. Also, the area just to NE of us is nice for this kind of thing; over Clapham, Ingleton, Barbon, across towards Settle, Skipton... And being on bikes often campsites'll squeeze us in when closed to drivers.
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

Yes, there are some nice roads around there. Bendy country roads but you still need to be careful, especially Barbon way with the motorbikes IME.
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

There's nice roads over the top towards Dentdale IIRC with a nice wild camp spot in the valley by the stream. Car campers use it at times though.
mrjemm

Post by mrjemm »

Definately re mobikes around the area of KL generally, but can get away from them in the smaller lanes usually; they tend to stick to the faster ones they can blast along- which of course includes the KL - Sedburgh road that passes Barbon. Like the idea of the wild camp spot; think I know roughly where you mean.

The other spot we pondered recently, but didn't get to, was just over the Solway, on the Dumphries and Galloway coast, but it was a last minute thing, and not knowing the area, went where we knew we could have a nice time and somewhere to plonk the tent.

Have a weekend on my own coming up, so may do something along these lines also. So easy to be slack and waste the weekend behind the laptop or just lazing about...
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

Dumfries and Galloway is a nice area but I really only know if for walking and driving to the walk. I reckon nice routes might be up towards Glentrool area. There used to be a campsite there but it shut, however IIRC you can still use the site but it has no facilities. I stayed there as a kid and it is lovely. For campsites there is a nice little one next to a pub/restaurant really near the junction of the main road from Newton Stewart northwards where the road to Glentrool turns off. It has a nice if slightly sloping tent area next to a really beautiful pond. There are red cycle route markers all around that area too but I have never cycled there. It is kind of one of our options at some point later on.
iandriver

Post by iandriver »

I beleive large parts of the western end of the coast to coast are on traffic free routes on NCN 71. There are rail stations along the sea edge, so you can train one way and cycle back or visa versa.
http://www.sustrans.org.uk/ncn/map/route/route-71
Supporter of the A10 corridor cycling campaign serving Royston to Cambridge http://a10corridorcycle.com. Never knew gardening secateurs were an essential part of the on bike tool kit until I took up campaigning.....
pal

Post by pal »

Maybe the new 'Bay Cycle Way' (round Morecambe Bay)? (http://www.sustrans.org.uk/ncn/map/rout ... -cycle-way) -- linear, but the train links are ok, so you could ride one way and then take the train back. And there are some nice campsites round there.
LollyKat

Post by LollyKat »

Another plug for Dumries and Galloway. This May we went to the Kirkpatrick Macmillan rally, based at Barnsoul campsite, about 8 miles west of Dumfries. The campsite itself is first rate, quiet but with lots of facilities including a play area for children and very nice walks. The owners are very helpful and friendly.

The local CTC group provided lots of route sheets for circular runs of varying lengths. The roads are really quiet and we found that the little traffic there was drove considerately. I think it would make an excellent base for a family holiday. We intend to go back again next year.
thidwick

Post by thidwick »

..... and another plus 1 for Dumfries and Galloway. West of Annan is good, west of Dumfries is better. Good cycling.
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

pal wrote:Maybe the new 'Bay Cycle Way' (round Morecambe Bay)? (http://www.sustrans.org.uk/ncn/map/rout ... -cycle-way) -- linear, but the train links are ok, so you could ride one way and then take the train back. And there are some nice campsites round there.

I've actually done a chunk of it, probably all of the bit from glasson dock to Arnside. That route could be extended all the way round to Scotland I reckon. West.coast of Cumbria looks interesting.to me as well.
nirakaro

Post by nirakaro »

The nature of the terrain in the Lakes, and to some extent in the Dales, makes for not many roads, and the ones there are tend to be hilly. You could try on or around the Lancaster canal for a lovely flat quiet ride, especially around Carnforth and Bolton-le-Sands. Up from Carnforth to Silverdale and Arnside is pretty, if a bit hillier. There's a nice - if breezy - campsite on the coast at Red Bank Farm; excellent cafe, petting farm for kids. Or south of Lancaster, Glasson, Cockerham, Pilling - not the most exotic countryside, but pleasant flat riding and reasonably quiet roads.
Merry_Wanderer

Post by Merry_Wanderer »

Northumberland is relatively quiet and there are hilly and flat choices, fab beaches and good campsites plus Lindisfarne and a boat trip to the Farne islands from Seahouses if you fancy it
Also some nice off-road possibilities and easy to combine these into a circular route