GPS Profiles and Mileage Keeping

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
CREPELLO

GPS Profiles and Mileage Keeping

Post by CREPELLO »

I've enquired about this a few times over the years and still don't have the definitive answer.
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=81488
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=97370

Does anyone know which GPS units will allow the creating of profiles that will keep the total mileage for each profile seperate? My Etrex 20 apparently does not. It seems that the Edge series do this, according to Rick H in a recent thread. Are there any other models that do?

Does anyone else find this a short coming when using multiple bikes and a GPS? I don't think I really want to use this as a justification for N+1 GPS's :lol:

Isn't it frustrating that Garmin do actually produce what is quite a complex bit of kit, that is non the less usable in so many ways, and yet they fall down on this seemingly basic concept (you create a profile, therefore you would surely want to keep all data of that profile seperate from other profiles) :roll:
PH

Re: GPS Profiles and Mileage Keeping

Post by PH »

The Edge 500 has 3 bike profiles, but I don't think the 200 has.
In fairness, the Etrex are not cycling specific devices, though still my unit of choice for touring.
samsbike

Post by samsbike »

I thought the profiles were kept on garmin connect. I have a 800, and I think garmin shows the different bikes but strava doesnt.
Ljaydee

Post by Ljaydee »

If you upload to Strava you can list your bikes and it will show the seperate mileage totals for each bike under "my profile" , just need to remember to amend the bike at the time of the upload.
bensonboo

Post by bensonboo »

The Edge 200 will do this, you just need to add each bike in "Gear" in Garmin Connect and it will keep the mileage for each.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

All you need to do is upload your GPX file from your ride and save it in some sort of record.
I have AppleMacs and use a program called Ascent. By using that, every single activity can be saved individually.
Here's a screenshot of the records of recently.
Screen Shot 2015-08-31 at 20.39.47.png
There are many programs that will do this, and all you need is to upload them each time you finish a ride.

The columns are Date, My Activity Number, Ride Description, Mileage, Calories Consumed, Total Ascent, Total Duration, Active Time, Average Moving Speed, Overall Average Speed, Average Power.
Mick F. Cornwall
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Ljaydee wrote:If you upload to Strava you can list your bikes and it will show the seperate mileage totals for each bike under "my profile" , just need to remember to amend the bike at the time of the upload.

And annoyingly strata won't pick up the profile from the Garmin, which means that several months of mine are screwed, and there is not point in trying any more...
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
CREPELLO

Post by CREPELLO »

So it seems the best option is to register for Garmin Connect or use Ascent - if I want to keep my Etrex. Does anyone know if 'Ascent' is available for Windows?
I'm struggling for convenience here, ie a quick switch of profiles before I head out on the bike. Having to do a download after each and every ride strikes me as a lot of hassle.

On the other hand if the Edge series does record data in separate profiles I might consider getting one of those. Would the Edge Tour do this?
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Ascent is specifically for Macs, but I understand there's a program called Sports Tracks or something for PCs.

Here it is!
http://www.zonefivesoftware.com
Looks like it does Macs as well, plus tablets etc.
Mick F. Cornwall
stewartpratt

Post by stewartpratt »

The Edge 800 supports up to 5 bike profiles. Pretty sure you can see the odometers individually on the unit; no idea what happens when you upload. (Personally I don't use it, I never remember to select the bike at the start of every ride.)

I don't think the Touring supports this. It's pretty heavily crippled.
bensonboo

Post by bensonboo »

Not sure on the Edge Tour but on the 200 you can download your activities to Garmin Connect and then just assign what bike to what activity, takes all of 10 seconds to do so.
CREPELLO

Post by CREPELLO »

I shall take a closer look at Garmin Connect. It's not something I felt the need to take any notice of before.

I don't think I'll be looking at another Garmin device just yet. Better the devil you know. I've been reading some of the reviews on Amazon. A lot of the reviewers sound like they know what they're talking about (I'm usually sceptical of 1 star reviews as much as I am of 5 stars) and from what I'm reading some of the other Garmin's sound very buggy.

I just wish someone would hack this device and give the Etrex proper separate profiles :twisted: