New version of the Forum

Announcements and information about these boards. Only moderators and administrators can post here.
grey geek

Re: New version of the Forum

Post by grey geek »

Well, well, well. I have just read this week's CTC news and came to the Forum to see the "New Look". I was pleased to see that it is identical to the CTC Cornwall Web Site :D

Yes, I know it's the default phpBB3 look plus the CTC Logo, but we got there first :!:
If you live in Cornwall, visit the CTC Cornwall Web Site
or get the Combined Rides Programme Jan-Jul 2009 directly as a PDF
hugo67

Post by hugo67 »

I really like the PHBB3 format since I used to run one of these PHBB3/MYSQL Forums myself and had something like 20,000 members (I'm also into Linux Computer Operating Systems). It makes a change being on the other end and not having to work my ass off! :lol: hugo67
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

robgul wrote:Most forum software has an option (at admin level) to set the viewing so that hovering the mouse over the thread shows the first sentence or two of text ... is that possible? - it just makes it easier to decide whether to open/read a thread where (perhaps) the title may be unclear ....

(You'll find that the fora for C+, the Comic and yacf have this feature ... as do those that I run for our club and a couple of business related sites)

As far as I'm aware phpBB3 doesn't have this facility, but it does sound interesting. It would require quite a bit of hidden text to be added to the forum lists, and some javascript code to display this as you hover. I'll have a look to see how those other forums implement this, but can't promise that I'll find time to modify the phpBB code.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

brianleach wrote:Is it my internet connection or is the load and navigation time of the new look website far far longer?

You may find that the default look of the forum might take a little longer to load (a few other people have mentioned this too) especially if you're using an old browser like Internet Explorer 6 (in which case upgrading to an up-to-date browser like Firefox, Opera, or Internet Explorer 8 is strongly recommended).

If this is a problem, you can change the look of the Forum to "subsilver2" which uses fewer images (and so will be quicker to download on a slow connection)
by following the links "User Control Panel" > "Board preferences" > "My board style".

You'll see that subsilver2 is pretty-much the same style as the previous version of the Forum, but it's actually slightly more efficient than the old forum in terms of the amount of data you have to download to view pages.

Anthony
Si

Post by Si »

(in which case upgrading to an up-to-date browser like Firefox, Opera, or Internet Explorer 8 is strongly recommended).

Rather you than me :wink:
hugo67

Post by hugo67 »

I agree, this new forum is better because I used to be a Sysop/owner of a PHPBB, some years back (still got my instruction book for admin on the Control desk). Apart from being an avid cyclist, I also run a small computer network under Linux (Ubuntu Gnome), which I have been with since the late 1990's with SUSE Linux originally, before it was taken over by Novell. Previous to Linux, I used to use fragments of Unix in a commercial environment (in common with a 100 member strong team) with Siemens who made switchgear for the Gemini Space Control Center at Space City, Florida. They were good days back then...!