New version of the Forum

Announcements and information about these boards. Only moderators and administrators can post here.
admin
Site Admin

Re: New version of the Forum

Post by admin »

I hope, having made a change to the cookie settings, that the repeated-login problem has now gone away.

If not, please add a comment to this thread: Needing to log in too often?
patricktaylor

Post by patricktaylor »

admin wrote:
patricktaylor wrote:It keeps asking me to login again, even though I have it set to auto-login and cookies enabled.

... I've made a change to the cookie settings, which might have fixed this problem.

patricktaylor wrote:Also, for a short time after loggin in, I see an unstyled version of the page while the stylesheets load again. Strange. I would expect the stylesheets to remain in the browser's cache.

What browser, and version, are you using?

Does this happen on every page, or just the first after logging in?

The unstyled page is visible only after logging in. The auto-login seems to be working okay now.

BTW - Firefox 3.0.6 and not AOL.

Many thanks.
garygkn

Post by garygkn »

I feel that the look and easy navigation of the previous site worked well.
For me the new look is harder to read.
Why not upgrade the functions etc but keep the traditional look and feel as everyone was familiar with that and it did work very well.
I think it will take sometime to get used to.
gaz

Post by gaz »

The new look will take a bit of getting used to, as will navigatin around the pm boxes.

That's all though, just a bit of getting used to.

Stats section about which threads I've contributed most to, what board I spend most time on and so on is a nice touch of pointless trivia.

Don't know what I'm going to do with the Friends and Foes list though.
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
gaz

Post by gaz »

Just noticed my Avatar is now riding on the right. As a UK based forum I demand that Avatars be returned to their proper position of riding on the left. :wink:
patricktaylor

Post by patricktaylor »

I agree with you there, gaz. They would be better on the left, but I suspect the layout comes with the Theme, though there will be other Themes available with the avatars on the left.
garygkn

Post by garygkn »

My point is was there any objection to the look and navigation of the previous site.
I guess that most people were more than happy.
It seems changing the for the sake or because the opportunity arose may not be the best idea.
I can see enhancements to the previous site would have been more advantageous and less alienating.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

There was nothing wrong with the old forum, except functionality, search facility, and other things I can't remember!
(does the search actually work now?)

The old forum was brilliant if you were to compare it to the old-old forum. This should be one more leap into brilliancy ......

My profile (on the right, and I agree it should be on the left) shows that I joined in Jan 2007 - in fact, I joined the forum a year or two before that. That is, the old-old forum!
Mick F. Cornwall
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

garygkn wrote:Why not upgrade the functions etc but keep the traditional look and feel as everyone was familiar with that and it did work very well.

Simply because the new forum version requires a completely new theme, because the code has changed significantly (and for the new features).

There are plans afoot for a new CTC style, so I haven't spent too much effort on the new look, as it is likely to be changed again. The current look is standard phpBB with just a CTC logo.

Once we've had a little time to get used to the new look we can fine-tune it, and/or create new themes for people to choose. If anyone would like to offer new themes, just let me know!

Anthony
Greybeard

Post by Greybeard »

I can't say that I'm over-enamoured with the new appearance - I suppose it'll be just a matter of getting used to it again.
This is the second site this week that has done this to me. Anyone seen the new version of the BBC weather site? 'Tis 'orrible - no more at-a-glance information, bits all over the place now :(

Steve
patricktaylor

Post by patricktaylor »

Greybeard wrote:... Anyone seen the new version of the BBC weather site? 'Tis 'orrible - no more at-a-glance information, bits all over the place now :(

Steve

True. I sent in a complaint to the BBC. Not that it will make the slightest difference, as they claim the changes came about after user-consultation (which is what they always say when they make things worse).
fixer

Post by fixer »

garygkn wrote:I feel that the look and easy navigation of the previous site worked well.
For me the new look is harder to read.
Why not upgrade the functions etc but keep the traditional look and feel as everyone was familiar with that and it did work very well.
I think it will take sometime to get used to.

I agree with this. I don't like the lack of clear borders around each message. The new layout is just not as easy to read as the old one.
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

Am I missing something? There seems to be no way to see which categories have new posts - or inside the category which threads have new posts.

Further, if you try to use the 'view unread posts' option on the main page you get the same group of posts, click on 'mark all as read' or read any and they still show up in the 'view unread posts' list.

So is there anyway to check for new posts?
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

kwackers wrote:Am I missing something? There seems to be no way to see which categories have new posts - or inside the category which threads have new posts.

The topic icons are red&white if there are new posts, black&white if not.
Jeckyll_n_Snyde

Post by Jeckyll_n_Snyde »

patricktaylor wrote:
admin wrote:
patricktaylor wrote:It keeps asking me to login again, even though I have it set to auto-login and cookies enabled.

... I've made a change to the cookie settings, which might have fixed this problem.

patricktaylor wrote:Also, for a short time after loggin in, I see an unstyled version of the page while the stylesheets load again. Strange. I would expect the stylesheets to remain in the browser's cache.

What browser, and version, are you using?

Does this happen on every page, or just the first after logging in?

The unstyled page is visible only after logging in. The auto-login seems to be working okay now.

BTW - Firefox 3.0.6 and not AOL.

Exactly the same here..... it's more prominent when you "refresh" the page.
Firefox 3.0.6 on an Apple Mac and NOT AOL
MALE by the evolutionary process of natural selection
Heterosexual by choice
Atheist by the grace of G** :wink: :wink: :wink: