New version of the Forum

Announcements and information about these boards. Only moderators and administrators can post here.
Jeckyll_n_Snyde

Re: New version of the Forum

Post by Jeckyll_n_Snyde »

gaz wrote:Don't know what I'm going to do with the Friends and Foes list though.

Gaz where is this LIST..... i've had a quick mooch about but so far cant find it, i cant wait to add to it :twisted:

Edit....now found it in User Control Panel and already added to Foe list....muhahahahah
Last edited by Jeckyll_n_Snyde on 28 Feb 2009, 6:02pm, edited 1 time in total.
MALE by the evolutionary process of natural selection
Heterosexual by choice
Atheist by the grace of G** :wink: :wink: :wink:
robgul

Post by robgul »

Please, please can we have the date format in UK/European format - ie 28 February 2009 NOT February 28 2009 - and while you're at it change the time to 24 hour clock not the US am/pm presentation.

Other than that - it seems better

Rob
E2E http://www.cycle-endtoend.org.uk
HoECC http://www.heartofenglandcyclingclub.org.uk
Cytech accredited mechanic . . . and woodworker
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Hi Rob,

Go into your "User Control Panel" and click on "Board Preferences" You can set the date/time to anything you want.

I have 28 February 2009 17:44

I set this by having:

d D M, Y H:i

in the Date Format box.
Mick F. Cornwall
pete75

Post by pete75 »

robgul wrote:Please, please can we have the date format in UK/European format - ie 28 February 2009 NOT February 28 2009 - and while you're at it change the time to 24 hour clock not the US am/pm presentation.

Other than that - it seems better

Rob

I think you'll find am pm is the standard British format. The Yanks got it from us :D
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
patricktaylor

Post by patricktaylor »

admin wrote:... Once we've had a little time to get used to the new look we can fine-tune it, and/or create new themes for people to choose. If anyone would like to offer new themes, just let me know!

Anthony

Anthony, you've done a great job with the database. Big thanks for that :D

I think it is worth a little time getting used to something different, but as far as styles are concerned my own preference is for something light and neutrally coloured with a fixed width (so that people with very wide monitors don't have to read long lines). For example this theme/style from phpBB's own list of examples. No doubt others will have a different view.

The other comment I would offer is that the maximum allowed image size on the previous forums was quite small - the height especially - and people wanting to post larger often linked elsewhere, such as flickr (or whatever it's called) and photobucket etc. The problem with that comes when the source image is no longer available later on, spoiling the post. But I appreciate server space may be an issue.
Anura

Post by Anura »

Does look different. Yes, it looks wide. Is there any way of having a 'watching' list like on ebay? I often forget what I've been interested in. (it's her age you know)
rualexander

Post by rualexander »

the maximum allowed image size on the previous forums was quite small - the height especially - and people wanting to post larger often linked elsewhere, such as flickr (or whatever it's called) and photobucket etc.

Remember image size and file size are two different things, the maximum file size now seems to be 256kb which is fine for web viewing, although I think the old forum had it at 500kb? I'm not sure how the forum software decides how large to display a photo in a post as if you look at this thread there are different sized pictures. Image size is something you can alter in photo editing software and can refer to physical dimensions, pixel dimensions and/or pixels per inch.
If you click on my sheep photo on the thread referred to you will get a bigger version, same with the kayak photo further down by someone else, but for some reason not on the other photos on the thread, not sure why that is?
rualexander

Post by rualexander »

Why does the link I put in the above reply open in the same window whereas other links open a new browser window?
patricktaylor

Post by patricktaylor »

Thanks. I hadn't seen the "new way to upload photos" thread.

BTW, Mick's does the same on the other thread - opens in the same window. Perhaps it's the new version? (Internal links only)
garygkn

Post by garygkn »

patricktaylor wrote:
admin wrote:... Once we've had a little time to get used to the new look we can fine-tune it, and/or create new themes for people to choose. If anyone would like to offer new themes, just let me know!

Anthony

Anthony, you've done a great job with the database. Big thanks for that :D

I think it is worth a little time getting used to something different, but as far as styles are concerned my own preference is for something light and neutrally coloured with a fixed width (so that people with very wide monitors don't have to read long lines). For example this theme/style from phpBB's own list of examples. No doubt others will have a different view.

The other comment I would offer is that the maximum allowed image size on the previous forums was quite small - the height especially - and people wanting to post larger often linked elsewhere, such as flickr (or whatever it's called) and photobucket etc. The problem with that comes when the source image is no longer available later on, spoiling the post. But I appreciate server space may be an issue.

The link on the above shows a big improvement. Narrower and distinct borders do make a positive impact. It helps the reader to locate posts and shorter line lengths are preferable as they are easier to read. If this is an easy mod I would vote for it!
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

For those who'd like to suggest alternative styles, please see I don't like the new look!.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

rualexander wrote:Why does the link I put in the above reply open in the same window whereas other links open a new browser window?

Links to other pages in the forum open in the same window. Links to external sites open in a new window/tab.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Anura wrote:Is there any way of having a 'watching' list like on ebay? I often forget what I've been interested in. (it's her age you know)

Yes, click on the "Subscribe topic" link at the bottom of the page to have emails sent to you when people post replies.

Click on the "Bookmark topic" link at the bottom of the page to add the topic to your list of bookmarks in your User Control Panel (under "Manage Bookmarks").
robgul

Post by robgul »

Most forum software has an option (at admin level) to set the viewing so that hovering the mouse over the thread shows the first sentence or two of text ... is that possible? - it just makes it easier to decide whether to open/read a thread where (perhaps) the title may be unclear ....

(You'll find that the fora for C+, the Comic and yacf have this feature ... as do those that I run for our club and a couple of business related sites)

Rob
E2E http://www.cycle-endtoend.org.uk
HoECC http://www.heartofenglandcyclingclub.org.uk
Cytech accredited mechanic . . . and woodworker
brianleach

Post by brianleach »

Is it my internet connection or is the load and navigation time of the new look website far far longer?

Brian