NS review consultation

For discussions within the Cycle Training profession.
pjclinch

NS review consultation

Postby pjclinch » 10 Aug 2017, 3:43pm

It's 2017, so almost 5 year review of the NS time.

I'm thinking of putting in something about a negotiated move in to a traffic stream, since L2 and L3 assume that gaps you can move in to will magically be there and IME they may well not be.

Anyone else in The Panel have thoughts on that, or their own additions/edits to the existing outcomes?

Pete.
Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...

mjr

Re: NS review consultation

Postby mjr » 11 Aug 2017, 5:34pm

Not in The Panel but with the increasing amounts of superhighways and similar, it would be good to see the parts about off-carriageway infrastructure in L2 and L3 stop being optional and improved to contain actual guidance on correct use (including keeping to the left of oncoming riders) instead of being primarily about not using them and containing motorist propaganda about making oneself "visible" (I have still yet to meet anyone who knows how to be invisible)
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.

pjclinch

Re: NS review consultation

Postby pjclinch » 13 Aug 2017, 10:10am

mjr wrote:Not in The Panel but with the increasing amounts of superhighways and similar, it would be good to see the parts about off-carriageway infrastructure in L2 and L3 stop being optional and improved to contain actual guidance on correct use (including keeping to the left of oncoming riders) instead of being primarily about not using them and containing motorist propaganda about making oneself "visible" (I have still yet to meet anyone who knows how to be invisible)

Good one, though of course problematical to teach where there isn't any of this kind of thing. What might be worth saying is some degree of carrot/stick to teach all outcomes that would be relevant to trainees in the area around the training location. In the school I do most of my delivery to children we don't do mini-roundabouts because there aren't any in the village, but I can think of quite a few locations where not covering them would really snooker attempts to cycle to school on the roads.
In any case I think more info on using a Proper cycle track, even if it can't be formally taught in all cases, would be an excellent addition.

(How to be invisible? Actually very easy, just be in a place out of sight lines, but nothing much to do with the traditional advice to wear YELLLOW!)

Pete.
Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...

Return to “National Standard Cycle Training”