M-Check etc.

For discussions within the Cycle Training profession.
NATURAL ANKLING

Re: M-Check etc.

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
pjclinch wrote: 3 Jan 2020, 1:35pm
NATURAL ANKLING wrote: If I had my way I would make sure every school leaver had Assembled a bike first and also mended Tyre flats And fit a chain in the field on their own.
You don't have any time for the idea that anything that can be perceived as a barrier to cycling is counter-productive, I take it?
Knowledge can be a powerful thing.

Children soak it up without questions if its new and interesting.

I still remember simple things that I learnt at school.
We all remember words that rhyme.............like months of the year, I still recite that rather than look at a calendar.

Along this basis this day and age a lot could be done with simple bike maintenance.

My neighbour and his son could nor fight their way ota a paper bag a wet one with the simplest of tasks on a bicycle............but its simple aint it.

Modern frantic life get to where you are going the shortest fastest way and then sit in front of tv / device for several hours :roll:
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
NATURAL ANKLING

Hi,
pjclinch wrote: 5 Jan 2020, 5:15pm
RickH wrote:
pjclinch wrote:
You don't have any time for the idea that anything that can be perceived as a barrier to cycling is counter-productive, I take it?
OK, They weren't waiting to ride their bikes at the time but...

When I was in the early part of a college teaching course we had to come up with a short (around 15 minutes) activity to "teach" something to the rest of the class. I chose to do putting a patch on an inner tube as my activity. :D (And I'm still nowhere near using up the puncture kits I bought for the exercise, despite it being quite a few years ago!)
I don't want to suggest it's a bad idea to teach this sort of thing, particularly puncture repair, but if you make it a hard requirement of learning to ride that one must be able to build a bike then that will telegraph to some potential riders that cycling is hard and not for them.

I changed a tube and a tyre earlier today, more power to me, but if someone can't be bothered and would sooner have the local shop do whatever work needed done then that's an option, and suggesting you must be able to DIY downplays that option for not much reason.

Pete.
I predict that one day we will all end up riding bikes :)

My maths teacher said make the training hard and the exam will be easy..................
What's wrong with that!
Better than those jollies to the local farm to feed and cuddle furry animals that wont or don't ever appreciate it.
Remembering how to fix a puncture on a rear wheel derailleur bike...............will empower..........you think?
NATURAL ANKLING

Hi,
ChrisP100 wrote: 3 Dec 2021, 11:01am Our very own Cycling UK have a very good basic video on the M-Check:

https://www.cyclinguk.org/article/video ... do-setting
Not bad :)
RickH

Post by RickH »

pjclinch wrote: 3 Jan 2020, 1:35pm
NATURAL ANKLING wrote: If I had my way I would make sure every school leaver had Assembled a bike first and also mended Tyre flats And fit a chain in the field on their own.
Dealing with chains isn't without its risks either. Earlier this week I heard of a youngster having to have part of a finger amputated & surgery to repair another finger after getting them caught between the chain & chainring! A friend's son suffered similar when they were younger but they managed to repair his fingers.
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
mjr

Post by mjr »

RickH wrote: 3 Dec 2021, 11:36am Earlier this week I heard of a youngster having to have part of a finger amputated & surgery to repair another finger
Earlier this week, I heard that mass cycling had helped Utrecht win another award. I bet many of its residents can't repair their own bikes and I prefer the story I heard to yours ;)
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
RickH

Post by RickH »

mjr wrote: 3 Dec 2021, 11:42am
RickH wrote: 3 Dec 2021, 11:36am Earlier this week I heard of a youngster having to have part of a finger amputated & surgery to repair another finger
Earlier this week, I heard that mass cycling had helped Utrecht win another award. I bet many of its residents can't repair their own bikes and I prefer the story I heard to yours ;)
Have you a link? I would probably prefer it too! :D
mjr

Post by mjr »

RickH wrote: 3 Dec 2021, 7:45pm
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7sGy4kS9T2w
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
RickH

Post by RickH »

mjr wrote: 3 Dec 2021, 9:11pm
RickH wrote: 3 Dec 2021, 7:45pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7sGy4kS9T2w
Excellent! :D

Thanks for nudging me to watching it.

I'd seen the link in my youtube feed (I'm subscribed to the Fully Charged channel) but hadn't yet watched it.
pjclinch

Post by pjclinch »

NATURAL ANKLING wrote: 3 Dec 2021, 11:29am
My maths teacher said make the training hard and the exam will be easy..................
What's wrong with that!
Nothing's wrong with that, but it is a false equivalence.

It certainly makes a lot of sense to be able to do basic maintenance yourself, especially if you're e.g. going on tour. But that's not the same as you must learn to do it as a precursor to getting about by bike. If that's a bar that has to be jumped then anyone that's not inclined to jump it won't ride. If it's an optional bar that can be jumped if you want, and there are rewards if you do, that's a different matter entirely.
NATURAL ANKLING wrote: 3 Dec 2021, 11:29am Remembering how to fix a puncture on a rear wheel derailleur bike...............will empower..........you think?
I think learning to fix a puncture is a Good Thing. But I'm sure that being barred entry to cycling if you're not interested in learning to fix a puncture and are also quite happy to arrange and pay for someone else to do it isn't really much help to anyone (no idea why the fixation with derailleurs... what if you've got an internal hub gear? Are you only allowed one of those if you've passed an extra course module?)

Pete.
Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...