Could this have a knock effect on the pay and condition of cycle instructor?

For discussions within the Cycle Training profession.
Philip Benstead

Post by Philip Benstead »

Uber loses right to classify UK drivers as self-employed

Landmark employment tribunal ruling states firm must also pay drivers national living wage and holiday pay with huge implications for gig economy

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/ ... yed-status
Philip Benstead | Life Member Former CTC Councillor/Trustee
Organizing events and representing cyclists' in southeast since 1988
Bikeability Instructor/Mechanic
landsurfer

Re: Could this have a knock effect on the pay and condition of cycle instructor?

Post by landsurfer »

Depends on whether there is a National Union of Cycle Instructors.
My understanding is that this case was brought by a Union not the UBER drivers who are happily keeping their profits secret from HRMC I bet.
“Quiet, calm deliberation disentangles every knot.”
Be more Mike.
The road goes on forever.
PH

Re: Could this have a knock effect on the pay and condition of cycle instructor?

Post by PH »

Philip Benstead wrote:Landmark employment tribunal ruling states firm must also pay drivers national living wage and holiday pay with huge implications for gig economy
https://www.theguardian.com/technology/ ... yed-status

Depends - if you work primarily for the one company, they dictate the terms you work under and you have an obligation to work as and when they determine, then you are effectively employed by them and should be classified as such. If you're free to set your own terms, negotiate fees, accept or reject offers and offer your services elsewhere, then you would have a reasonable expectation of being classed as self employed.
Uber is quite a hard one, they are appealing and I wouldn't bet which way that goes. They say the terms are such that a driver can go elsewhere and isn't tied to them, the two drivers who took them to tribunal obviously thought differently.
PH

Post by PH »

landsurfer wrote:My understanding is that this case was brought by a Union not the UBER drivers who are happily keeping their profits secret from HRMC I bet.

No, it may have been backed by a union, but a tribunal is between employer and employee, in this case two drivers, it's in the link.