M-Check etc.

For discussions within the Cycle Training profession.
gaz

M-Check etc.

Post by gaz »

But can you do a "M-check"? Can't be a cycle inspector without knowing your "M-check" :wink: .
Mick F
Spambuster

Re: When will P Tuohy Leave?

Post by Mick F »

Ok, I'll bite.

What's an M-check?
Mick F. Cornwall
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Mick F wrote:Ok, I'll bite.

What's an M-check?

We is all M-checking our homies Mick. You is needin to be down with the aforementioned kidz.

(No, I've no idea either)
PH

Post by PH »

Mick F wrote:Ok, I'll bite.

What's an M-check?

https://www.sustrans.org.uk/our-blog/ge ... -11-steps/
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Thanks, but it doesn't answer the question.
We all know about checking stuff - car, bike, or whatever.

What is an M-check?
Why is it called M-check?

Sorry, just scrolled down to the bottom.
I see it now, but it isn't in the text at all. Still doesn't seem right to me. Silly expression IMO.
Mick F. Cornwall
PH

Post by PH »

Mick F wrote:I see it now, but it isn't in the text at all. Still doesn't seem right to me. Silly expression IMO.

I've seen it being taught to a group of school kids, I thought it an effective method. It isn't aimed at you or I.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

:D :D
No, I agree!
Mick F. Cornwall
horizon

Post by horizon »

PH wrote:
Mick F wrote:I see it now, but it isn't in the text at all. Still doesn't seem right to me. Silly expression IMO.

I've seen it being taught to a group of school kids, I thought it an effective method. It isn't aimed at you or I.

+ 1. I really liked it (the video that is). Very clear and straightforward and not a torque wrench in sight! It might be aimed at me though: I often have to go through the basics on things. I would have added a point 12, lights. Or even a point 13: check the temperature, is there likely to be ice on the ground? And no mention of the H word. Good!
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
Si

Post by Si »

M check is good in that it makes people follow a prescribed path along the bike checking stuff as they go and so they are less likely to forget stuff. However one of the main issues with it is that everyone's version of it is different, i.e. includes different checks.

There is also the ABC, ABCD and ABCDE etc etc checks. M check is monthly, ABC is before every ride.

Air
Brakes
Chain
Drop
Everything else
Tinpotflowers

Post by Tinpotflowers »

Si wrote:M check is good in that it makes people follow a prescribed path along the bike checking stuff as they go and so they are less likely to forget stuff. However one of the main issues with it is that everyone's version of it is different, i.e. includes different checks.

There is also the ABC, ABCD and ABCDE etc etc checks. M check is monthly, ABC is before every ride.

Air
Brakes
Chain
Drop
Everything else

D = Dangles
E = Engagement eg saddle and bars
Si

M-check etc.

Post by Si »

Which proves my point somewhat .

And then there is the 96 Ls.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

96ls?
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
pjclinch

Re: M-check etc.

Post by pjclinch »

Mick F wrote:Thanks, but it doesn't answer the question.
We all know about checking stuff - car, bike, or whatever.

What is an M-check?
Why is it called M-check?

Sorry, just scrolled down to the bottom.
I see it now, but it isn't in the text at all. Still doesn't seem right to me. Silly expression IMO.

It seems to work for the folks learning it IME though.

While you'd need to be a bit anal to do it every time (which is why the ABC is increasingly emphasised as that really is easy to do every time) when I was doing sport coaching in a JCC we'd do a full M check every session, because there was no way to know (as instructors) what had happened to the bikes since we last saw them checked, and with a group sport context there was increased potential for fiascoes. We'd always make a point of having riders change bikes, as it turns out people can be much better at finding problems in other folks' bikes than their own! We'd often catch minor issues this way (also the case with helmet checks, people are hilariously bad at self-assessing the fit of crash helmets but as the Nat Standards point out, if you wear one it needs to be properly fitted).

In a Bikeability context we'd use it for a quick pre-course assessment of all bikes, with fails sent home with a note of what needed done and where that might be effected, and we'd want to see each participant demonstrate an M-Check at least once. While there's merit in doing a full M every session there's the issue that it transmits the idea that you shouldn't ever ride without a bit of a faff up front, and that's as good a reason as many folk need to not bother riding.

Pete.
Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...
Marcus Aurelius

Re: M-Check etc.

Post by Marcus Aurelius »

The M check is surprisingly effective at finding issues. Whenever I’m leading a ride for B.C. the M check always surprises. I’ve had people prepared to start a ride with some hilarious problems with their bikes. Normally they’re sortable with nothing more than a multi tool, sometimes not, those are eye openers for sure. Never underestimate some folks lack of even basic mechanical comprehension.
mjr

Re: M-Check etc.

Post by mjr »

JCC?
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.