Reasons for Cycle Training

For discussions within the Cycle Training profession.
adinigel

Reasons for Cycle Training

Post by adinigel »

Mainly for the other trainers on the Forum really, but comments are welcomed from anyone.

I have raised this on the back of the discussion (?) that was developing (before is was moderated :wink: ) between Kris & I over his call for anyone that wanted work. I am going to try and keep away from fees this time, that is being discussed in another thread anyway. From comments before, the motives that Kris has foremost is that he his doing his bit for the environment and encouraging others to do the same. Consequently he doubts the motives of trainers that travel to training sessions by car.

Now, I have no problem with travelling to a training session by car. Ideally I would cycle to every training session, but current workload doesn't always allow that. My main motive for undertaking cycle training is Road Safety (coupled with a desire to force myself back on a bike!). If I hear of a training requirement that I can help with because there is not a more local trainer, then I think it better for someone to travel and undertake that training than that training not happen.

So that covers 2 reasons for undertaking cycling, environment & road safety.

Why did you become involved in Cycle training? Perhaps there are other reasons?

Nigel
DSA registered Driving Instructor, RoSPA Diploma in Advanced Car Instruction, SAFED registered van trainer, National Standards Cycling Instructor
Kris Socha

Post by Kris Socha »

I personally started doing it years ago when CTUK were a small rowing organisation full of enthusiasts and almost nobody else was providing any sort of cycle training to the kids of West London. Having spent some time with them I went my way as there were way too many differences between us. I set up my own company - Cycling Tuition and begun working with a bunch of friends. We've decided to concentrate on our local area as it's closest to our hearts and heads. It seems we got it right as our scheme has proved a success.
None of us is in it for the money alone. It's more about giving something back to the local people, making the local estates safer cycling places, helping the little ones stay free from unnecessary injuries. Sustainability of transport wasn't there at first (as an idea) but is now.
As for driving to the courses my main problem is: how can you honestly encourage kids to cycle to school/shops/mates' if you're driving? I have tried it, never successfully.
Anyone?
adinigel

Post by adinigel »

Kris,

Do you own a car & drive at all? Surely, we aren't telling the pupils that they should never go by car? Although one or two may latch onto a car free lifestyle, the vast majority wont. So they could benefit from some ideas on when & how to include cycling alongside the use of a car.

I totally agree that driving to a cycling course is far from ideal, but when needs must.....

Nigel
DSA registered Driving Instructor, RoSPA Diploma in Advanced Car Instruction, SAFED registered van trainer, National Standards Cycling Instructor
Kris Socha

Post by Kris Socha »

I don't own a car at the moment as I find no pleasure in driving what I can afford. I do ride motorbikes a lot though and have nothing against engines etc. but in my opinion it's best to practice what I preach. As I encourage cycling to school I do the same. Even when it means a long trek through London. I tried driving to schools a couple of years ago but felt wrong about it.

A bit idealistic I suppose, but hey! that's just me :-)
adinigel

Post by adinigel »

I was hoping we could generate some other responses, obviously not!

Someone else did respond to the original thread, but that was more on rate though!

Come on, there must be other views out there?

Nigel
towedhaul

Post by towedhaul »

Why do I do it?
I need money to live on. I want to do work that I like doing.

I get paid to ride my bike & to chat to kids (and a few adults) about cycling.
I get paid to take people on bike rides.
I get paid to fix people's bikes and show people how to fix their own bikes.
I get paid to watch other people talk to kids about cycling and then suggest improvements for how they might get better results.
I get paid to teach people to be cycling instructors and then I get those people thanking me and telling me that cycle training is the best job they've ever had.
What's not to like?

When I started out doing this I said I wanted it to be normal to cycle. I think we're going in the right direction and it's becoming less weird but I still don't think it's normal. I'll carry on for a while yet.
pops

Post by pops »

I prefer to cycle to training sessions but if it's not possible or convenient then I'll go by car - it's not ideal as I do agree turning up on a bike sets a good example but realistically there are times when if I cycled to and from a job I would be late getting there and lat getting back for other commitments.
keepontriking

Post by keepontriking »

FWIW I don't think anyone should arrive to teach cycling by motor vehicle.

Setting an example that road journeys by cycle are completely normal is good practice.
tina

Cycle vs car to training?

Post by tina »

Well, if its less than 10 miles....bike, more than that well needs must - the area I cover is too wide to cycle to all courses. Some schools can take almost an hour by car to get to.

However I do my shopping by bike, take stuff to the tip by bike, all my local journeys by bike..... and I talk to the trainees about it. Talking about why I may have my folding bike this week but next week I will be towing a trailer to go shopping on the way home!
Cycle training: www.cycleinstructor.co.uk
Sport Stevenage:www.sportstevenage.co.uk
CTC:www.stevenagectc.org.uk
adinigel

Post by adinigel »

keepontriking wrote:FWIW I don't think anyone should arrive to teach cycling by motor vehicle.

Setting an example that road journeys by cycle are completely normal is good practice.

In an ideal world I agree. Recently I undertook some training about an hour's drive away. The mother had contacted her local council (Gloucestershire) and they couldn't provide the training she wanted, she tried her neighboring council Oxfordshire and they gave her a list of independent trainers (including me) and I agreed to do the training. If I hadn't, the training wouldn't have taken place.

So should environmental considerations (resulting in these children receiving no training) take preference over road safety (ie the children receive the training)?

Nigel
keepontriking

Post by keepontriking »

adinigel wrote:
keepontriking wrote:FWIW I don't think anyone should arrive to teach cycling by motor vehicle.

So should environmental considerations (resulting in these children receiving no training) take preference over road safety (ie the children receive the training)?

As far as I am concerned it has nothing to do with environmental considerations. The benefits in that area are mainly a by-product.

The aim of cycle training is to get more people cycling - and cycling safely, and to achieve that I believe it is beneficial to set a good example.

If you choose to arrive by car at sessions that is your own choice.
adinigel

Post by adinigel »

keepontriking wrote:If you choose to arrive by car at sessions that is your own choice.

:?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?:

Nigel
keepontriking

Post by keepontriking »

adinigel wrote:

keepontriking wrote:If you choose to arrive by car at sessions that is your own choice.

:?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?:

Nigel

I can't see it can be anyone elses :?
adinigel

Post by adinigel »

Oh I agree, but the 2 comments appeared a little incongruous to me! :lol:

Nigel