Cycling proficiency??

For discussions within the Cycle Training profession.
thelastdon

Cycling proficiency??

Post by thelastdon »

Not even sure that it's called that any longer but anyway!

I'm a school teacher that runs MTB cycling on the curriculum but we are getting young people younger and younger that struggle with riding in general and I would like to offer them an award. I know I could pay for it but to run it long term to all young people it's not sustainable.

I would like to know how to qualify/train as an instructor. If anyone can let me know that would be great.

Thanks
bikeboy

Post by bikeboy »

To become a National Standards trainer you need to find your nearest Instructor Training Provider (ITP). There are now 15 locations throughout the country mainly in the London area but as far afield as Manchester, Bristol, Wolverhampton and I believe Derby now has one as well. The courses vary in cost starting from roughly £450 up to as much as £700 dependent on the area. There is an opportunity for a bursary of £300 but I think that is still on hold this year and is awaiting the release of funding from Cycling England (I maybe wrong on that!). Best bet is to have a look on the CTC site for the ITP providers and take it from there.

Best of luck.
lauriematt

Post by lauriematt »

our cycle training jobs are through our local council

would they be able to provide you with training or a trained assistant, funding etc...
WHAT DOESNT KILL YOU .... CAN ONLY MAKE YOU STRONGER
adinigel

Post by adinigel »

National Standards tends to be road based. Is there an off road equivalent?

Nigel
DSA registered Driving Instructor, RoSPA Diploma in Advanced Car Instruction, SAFED registered van trainer, National Standards Cycling Instructor
bikeboy

Post by bikeboy »

National Standards is outcome based. Level 1 would be ideal for what thelastdon is looking for however, all the skills learnt on the NS course are completly transferable (with a little bit of imagination) to any form of training.