Training for Lorry Drivers around Cyclists

For discussions within the Cycle Training profession.
Michael Mellon

Training for Lorry Drivers around Cyclists

Post by Michael Mellon »

I wonder if anyone can help please? I'm involved in cycle coaching and have been approached about providing training to lorry drivers regarding safe driving around cyclists. What they're looking for is practical training sessions, to increase lorry drivers' awareness and safety - I think.

I've been around in cycling for a while but I don't think I've come across a standard course or provider of training for lorry drivers like this. Does anyone know a course or provider of courses please?
PH

Re: Training for Lorry Drivers around Cyclists

Post by PH »

Might help if you gave some idea of location.
I know of a local scheme, though your local might be different :wink:
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Thanks for doing this.

Have you asked the Mayor of London's office directly? They get most attention on the visibility problem, but have mentioned driver training a few times, eg:
https://www.gov.uk/government/news/dft-and-mayor-announce-plans-to-tackle-hgv-safety-and-support-londons-cycling-revolution

Jonathan

PS: Do you use the infamous blind spot video?

[youtube]lV-rhiGRFTE[/youtube]
Michael Mellon

Post by Michael Mellon »

I was more interested in whether there is a national standard for this kind of training, or what types of organisations are providers rather than to find an actual course.

Who provides your local scheme please? Do you know who devised the training?
Michael Mellon

Post by Michael Mellon »

Jdsk wrote:Thanks for doing this.

Have you asked the Mayor of London's office directly? They get most attention on the visibility problem, but have mentioned driver training a few times, eg:
https://www.gov.uk/government/news/dft-and-mayor-announce-plans-to-tackle-hgv-safety-and-support-londons-cycling-revolution

Jonathan

PS: Do you use the infamous blind spot video?

[youtube]lV-rhiGRFTE[/youtube]

I'm not in London and I'm not involved in Bikeability or road training as such (yet) - but the reports of action being taken in London are the kind of thing of which I've been vaguely aware. I note that the link goes to something 7 years old when Johnson was Mayor of London instead of PM!

Maybe the answer is that this is all covered in standard HGV driver training but without a practical element? I don't know. There must be SOMETHING about safety around cyclists in HGV driver training, I imagine.
Michael Mellon

Post by Michael Mellon »

thirdcrank wrote:Cycling UK has this

https://www.cyclinguk.org/blog/samjones ... g-places-0

Ooh thanks! This is really helpful.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

I presume that that has some sort of official recognition because I only read about it in the recent report by HM police inspectorate into the sorry state of roads policing. It was described as an example of good practice but they were obviously clutching at straws so that may mean little.
Michael Mellon

Post by Michael Mellon »

thirdcrank wrote:I presume that that has some sort of official recognition because I only read about it in the recent report by HM police inspectorate into the sorry state of roads policing. It was described as an example of good practice but they were obviously clutching at straws so that may mean little.

There's nothing in the article about Glenn Blake's work that indicates it's an official or standard course. But then I'm not sure how much of the training that HGV drivers do for their 35 hours of DQC training is standardise or fixed... Maybe training providers can just decide to add in a half day of practical training making the lorry drivers get on bikes and experience what it's like being on a bike?!
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

https://www.justiceinspectorates.gov.uk ... and-wales/

That's a link to the inspection report I'm talking about. Perhaps it has sparked some interest in this type of training.

The link which led me to the Cycling UK stuff is on page 48.

That's really all I know.
PH

Post by PH »

This is as much as I know about what's on offer in Nottingham and Derby. It says it's aimed at professional drivers, rather than specifically LGV drivers, I'm assuming it includes them.
https://www.transportnottingham.com/pro ... ses-shoes/
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

"Cycle Safety" is in FORS, which I found through the Mayor of London's Office:
https://www.fors-online.org.uk/cms/elearning-2-2/

Jonathan
Philip Benstead

Post by Philip Benstead »

Philip Benstead | Life Member Former CTC Councillor/Trustee
Organizing events and representing cyclists' in southeast since 1988
Bikeability Instructor/Mechanic
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

There's always that video I think linked to in a thread from here showing the training of bus drivers in Colombia. They put the trainees on the side of an underpass then drive buses past at close passes and at speed!! They had a space to escape to unlike many cyclists but the camera certainly recorded their fear as the driver of the bus went past close. The bus had a downhill to pick up speed too.

Take that video with you if you can. I'm certain bus and truck drivers have no real idea what a truck's close pass feels like to a cyclist. The reactions of those trainee bus drivers might give a humorous way of explaining it.

Sorry my Google fu isn't that good so perhaps one of our regulars might find that video clip for you.

PS if any of them might think they'll be driving those trucks where the trailer has no bed to it only axles linked in the centre. I've been trapped between the front and rear wheels on such a trailer and had to go at my near sprint pace until I could reach a dropped kerb to cross a very narrow footway (2' tops) and ditch into the hedge!! I'm a guy who on a good day manages 15-16 mph average on my 7 miles commute. That stretch it was about 4 years ago that I used to ride at above 25mph over that stretch because it's undulating. I was cycling at 28mph without slowing down whether climbing or descending the undulations. Flight response was not possible so I fought bleeding hard that cycle home. BTW good light in late summer with clear skies and excellent visibility of me.