So Bikeability....

For discussions within the Cycle Training profession.
pops

So Bikeability....

Postby pops » 29 Oct 2008, 6:59pm

Bit of confusion. I've been told all sessions under the bikeability banner should be led by a Nat. Standards qualified instructor and that one course should include 7.5 hours on the road training. I've been trying to get some clarification but the contacts on the Bikeability website don't answer.

keepontriking

Re: So Bikeability....

Postby keepontriking » 29 Oct 2008, 7:56pm

pops wrote:Bit of confusion. I've been told all sessions under the bikeability banner should be led by a Nat. Standards qualified instructor and that one course should include 7.5 hours on the road training. I've been trying to get some clarification but the contacts on the Bikeability website don't answer.

Locally the LA put out a tender to require 10 hours for level 2 but awarded it to a provider who delivers 6.5 hours - and not all on road.

I'm not saying 6.5 is wrong, just that there does seem to be a lot of variation.

pops

Postby pops » 29 Oct 2008, 8:25pm

Level 2 - 5 hours total - 1 of which off road - not always led by a Nat.Standards qualified instructor.

xpc316e

Postby xpc316e » 21 Nov 2008, 7:18pm

I had the Bikeability manual in front of me this very afternoon, and it states quite clearly that level 2 needs at least 6 hours on the road.
Riding a Dahon Jetstream P9 folder, a Claud Butler Cape Wrath MTB, and the latest acquisition, an early 90s Vision R30 above seat steered recumbent.

adinigel

Postby adinigel » 22 Nov 2008, 7:35am

As I understand it, a Bikeability course must be run by a National Standards Instructor under the banner of a Bikeability registered organisation. Hence I can do Bikeability training for Wiltshire Council, but only National Standards work for contracts I arrange myself.

Nigel
DSA registered Driving Instructor, RoSPA Diploma in Advanced Car Instruction, SAFED registered van trainer, National Standards Cycling Instructor

pops

Postby pops » 24 Nov 2008, 11:41am

xpc316e wrote:I had the Bikeability manual in front of me this very afternoon, and it states quite clearly that level 2 needs at least 6 hours on the road.

I know - I also know we do 5 hours total - 1 off road 4 on road - and that the scheme is accredited Bikeability - maybe it just looks bad if they don't have a Cycle Demo town local authority accredited as Bikeability.