How young is too young?

For discussions within the Cycle Training profession.
Jules

How young is too young?

Postby Jules » 28 Feb 2006, 2:38pm

I've had several enquiries from parents wanting cycle training for their kids so they can go out on rides as a family. However, some kids are as young as 6 or 7. I don't want to dissuade them, however, I've advised them they might be too young to ride solo. My own children, however, did start some road riding at that age, despite my misgivings, as there are not many family friendly routes in this area. Have other forum members experience of this age group and what do they advise in terms of training to be offered?

Marc

Re:How young is too young?

Postby Marc » 28 Feb 2006, 8:27pm

Jules

We in Swindon often organise rides for families with children attending on their own bikes from about six to seven years old. The rides can be up to 8 to 10 miles for a pub lunch. We try to use the optimum routing to achive our goal, some pedestrian and cycle tracks as well as significant portions of roads. My feeling is that riding 'high side' with them sheltered nearside offers them safety and yet exposes them to road riding.

Cheers

Marc

Jules

Postby Jules » 1 Mar 2006, 3:01pm

Thanks Marc. This is usually how we ride with our kids who are a little bit older but we have done several rides with families with younger kids who really don't have a clue how to ride on the road. There have certainly been some heart-stopping moments but, luckily, no major accidents! the terrain around here is pretty hilly so even road routes are a bit limited, unfortunately.

Wendy

Postby Wendy » 31 Mar 2006, 6:18am

Hi Jules, I have taught level 2 to 7 year olds., wouldn't like to go any younger., 6 years old level 1 is a good starting point and in fact am teaching 3 x 6 year olds at the moment in that respect and yesterday took a booking for another course to be run the first week of the hols, again with 6 and 7 year olds.

In a controlled environment that young they are fine but put them onto the roads and all sorts will happen, tummy aches, tears from a lack of sleep aka fear of the unknown., yet curiously I found the 7 year old whose big sister was also going the course and the reason for his doing so to, was the one who did bother to listen and take on board what was being said almost to the point of going text book!

He even emailed me afterwards to thank me for being such a 'fab teach' bless his little heart!