Advice on short trips with cycle-trained Year-6 pupils

For discussions within the Cycle Training profession.
blaugrana

Advice on short trips with cycle-trained Year-6 pupils

Postby blaugrana » 25 Jan 2009, 3:19pm

I am a TA in a Primary School and some of the children have done cycle training, reaching level 2.

I would like (when the weather's nicer and SATS are over) to take a group on a ride to a nearby canal-side park. It is an approx 2-mile trip along quiet roads, crossing one busier road and a (barriered) level crossing.

I could get one or two other adult cyclists to accompany us. None of the adults are trained instructors.

Before I suggest this to the Head, has anyone got any advice on risk assessment, useful things for adult riders to do to prepare, ways to counter concerns etc?

If any teachers or TAs have led cycle trips with Primary school children I'd love to hear about it.

Vorpal

Postby Vorpal » 25 Jan 2009, 5:51pm

Check with the trainer that has worked with the children or try http://www.ctsb.org.uk/index.php
They've got guidance on risk assessment.

mac111051

Postby mac111051 » 25 Jan 2009, 7:47pm

Hi, i would contact your local council an ask them to supply a cycling instructor to accompany you, the instructor will risk access the route for you, Mal

blaugrana

Postby blaugrana » 27 Jan 2009, 4:58pm

Thanks for your replies. I spoke to the cycle trainer today and he was encouraging.

I am going to do a couple of training sessions (subsidised by my local council for all residents) and start thinking about how to ride with the children, how to do risk assessments etc.

Ideally, I would like to be able to carry out cycle trips without a council-provided trainer, as I feel this would help to normalise cycling, part of the aim of children doing these courses.

Thanks again,