Lobbying Parliament by all NI Instructors converging there t

For discussions within the Cycle Training profession.
Wendy

Lobbying Parliament by all NI Instructors converging there t

Postby Wendy » 27 Mar 2006, 5:44pm

Having lobbied my MP via the link on I-Contact I recieved a letter from him dated the same date as Jennifer sent the I-Contact out to us on 15th March and that also had a letter from a Stephen Ladymore to Matthew Taylor .. dated 1st March and absolutley no mention whatsoever about the cycle lane aspect .. no real surprise there given the dates don't tally and the closes we got to it, if indeed it was one was and I quote “The third point concerns drivers’ insurance schemes and changes to make it easier for non-motorised road users to claim injury damages. Without more detail it is difficult to determine exactly what is being proposed here”.

So obviously that tactic isn't going to work .. talking to Dilys in Southampton, she came up with the idea of all NS Instructors riding to Westminster to lobby before the bill is passed in May I believe ...

So how about it chaps and chapesses? School of though., we could all meet at say 4 different points about 5 miles out from Westminster, say north, south, east and west type thing as we'd all come in from different parts of the country and agree what time to set off so that we all arrive at approx. the same time. If enough of us do it we should get some decent media attention too!

Oh and be warned about BHIT - they approached me to instruct as a sub-contractor for them which initially I agreed to doing if I had no other clients as in Cornwall there have been 2 bad accidents one of which did result in a fatality however I have also subsequently told them that I have no wish to be part of their little games but it didn't stop them from trying to advertise my business but only using my name no website, no email to contact me by and asking anyone interested to contact them at admin@parentsforhelmets.org.uk - thankfully one of John Franklin's contacts passed it to him and he in turn sent it to me otherwise I'd still have been totally in the dark about it so thanks John for that!

freewheel

Re:Lobbying Parliament by all NI Instructors converging ther

Postby freewheel » 28 Mar 2006, 10:46am

A bold, media friendly event could be a useful way of bringing the issue to the to the attention of the Politicians and the wider public.

keepontriking

Postby keepontriking » 28 Mar 2006, 4:48pm

It sounds an interesting idea but would need a lot of press/publicity back up.

Let's here more about how BeHit have been recruiting? Are they going into providing cycle-training? Where do they advertise their services?

Wendy

Postby Wendy » 28 Mar 2006, 7:47pm

If enough people are interested and this debate about converging on Westminster becomes lively enough, then Jennifer will put it out in I-Contact ...

As for media contacts, there have to be some cyclists who are also journalists and I certainly have a few local contacts myself who could then pass it back to London ...... that would probably be the relatively easy bit to organise because the local journalists would also hopefully see this as a good opportunity to put the respective areas that the instructors are coming forth from, on the map so to speak .......