instructors-enough work?

For discussions within the Cycle Training profession.
mad dad

instructors-enough work?

Postby mad dad » 14 Apr 2006, 11:38am

Hi to all, or anyone, reading this! I am keen to become an instructor, and was concerned about the amount of work around. Is there enough to actually earn a living from it?
Thanks in advance!

Wendy

Re:instructors-enough work?

Postby Wendy » 16 Apr 2006, 12:55pm

It's a chance I've taken and with working tax credit to support me working all hours as I do my own admin, then yes, I believe it is worth taking a chance on it unless you are the main breadwinner for the family.

It is surprising once the word starts to get around, how many parents are willing to pay. I live in Cornwall and you either have the affluent or those on minimum wage down here, no in between but slowly but surely it is picking up and National Standards are winning out ...

My youngest client through an after school club programme, on a grant from local radio is just 6 and doing level 1, my eldest client willing to pay for my time is 78 and just wanted to go on a ride out to build her confidence again and get me to give her any tips that would make her safer effectively ...

I also have a 53 year old total novice whose husband last year did the end to end and he gave her a bike and lessons as her Christmas pressie - she in turn has recommended me to two of her friends, one of whom is a retired headmistress and a bike was her retirement pressie, another a lady reportedly with no sense of balance at all - you meet all sorts, all age groups and in job satisfaction terms, I wouldn't change it for the world!

Level 2 is picking up rapidly now the word is out and deemed to be better than the local council scheme because that is quite restrictive both in terms of who can do it and even has access to an instructor to run the course. My total novice wants me to do it with her when she is more au fait but after just two hours instruction she is already beginning to ride the local trails for a couple of miles or so at a time.

Level 3 generally tends to be requested by mums and dads who now want to go out with their kids but cars and roads have changed so much since they rode reguarly that they too need to boost their confidence so go for level 3.

Wendy

Postby Wendy » 16 Apr 2006, 12:59pm

P.S. I am the main breadwinner and a single parent .. it's tight and I am looking to also apply for and train as a Health Trainer to run along side it so that when I am not busy, I can put some hours in doing that too to boost my income., that too is only minimum wage but every little helps, I have two teenage lads, one doing his GCSEs and the other at the crossroads of the college/university route or work and about to learn to drive heaven help us all!

Wendy

Jennifer

Postby Jennifer » 12 Jun 2006, 2:51pm

If you become a National Standard instructor CTC can help you by listing your services for free on the instructor listings web page - this is used by CTC staff as well as the public when looking for an instructor in their local area. Moreover support and advice is also given by CTC for more info visit http://www.ctc.org.uk/DesktopDefault.aspx?TabID=4125