School Cycling

For discussions within the Cycle Training profession.
belgiangoth

School Cycling

Postby belgiangoth » 10 May 2009, 12:49am

I'm a secondary school teacher and considering starting some sort of bike club. Does anyone in the CTC have an idea of what woul/could be involved.

We have a skate ramp in a nearby park (not that I could instruct anything about that) and some sustran routes (NCN5) but I'm not convinced that kids want to go on long rides and I am a bit concerned about the liability issue.

I am hoping to get trained as an instructer over the summer period - if I can find a place to train me.
If I had a baby elephant, it would point out that there is no evidence for planing. Then it would eat all my bananas.

Graham

Re: School Cycling

Postby Graham » 13 May 2009, 5:26pm

You might like to have a read of this

zenzinnia

Postby zenzinnia » 14 May 2009, 9:35am

It depends what type of club you want. As you say, kids may not be interested in long road rides. You could have a look at British Cycling's Go Ride http://www.britishcycling.org.uk/web/si ... o_ride.asp which links local cycling clubs up to schools and tries to introduce kids to all types of cycling - BMX, MTB, road, track etc.

For general cycle training talk to your local council. They should be able to provide trainers for Bikeability level 2 depending on what type of school you are or at least some advice.

ASDA could also give some support as they are pushing a Pedal Power campaign at the moment. Each store has a 'community liaison' chap or marketing manager who would be the best contact. (their CEO is going to do LEJoG with Chris Hoy if he's fit)

adinigel

Postby adinigel » 26 May 2009, 6:43am

zenzinnia wrote:....For general cycle training talk to your local council. They should be able to provide trainers for Bikeability level 2 depending on what type of school you are or at least some advice.....

If the local council is doing Bikeability, one would hope level 2 was acheived before the children left Primary so perhaps a quick revision and on to level 3.

If you can pick the right destination then many kids will be happy for a long ride - especially in school time instead of lessons :D

CTC can provide insurance.

Nigel
DSA registered Driving Instructor, RoSPA Diploma in Advanced Car Instruction, SAFED registered van trainer, National Standards Cycling Instructor

CliveA

Postby CliveA » 3 Aug 2009, 12:35pm

Hi belgiangoth

Depending on where you are, our new Bike Club programme my be of interest.

Have a look at http://bikeclub.org.uk and let me know if you want to know more.

Clive
Bike Club