Extra £15m for child cycling

For discussions within the Cycle Training profession.
Jonathan

Extra £15m for child cycling

Postby Jonathan » 27 Jun 2006, 4:27pm

Good news about the extra £15m for child cycling. It was even on BBC's Newsround yesterday (my daughter tells me).

But does anyone know how this money is going to be spent and by who?

J

JamesAC

Re:Extra £15m for child cycling

Postby JamesAC » 28 Jun 2006, 12:30pm

Who's the lucky child?

:)

Jennifer

Postby Jennifer » 29 Jun 2006, 4:05pm

It certainly is great news. At the moment all we know is on the following web page. As soon as more information becomes available we will update this web page. http://www.ctc.org.uk/DesktopDefault.aspx?TabID=4481 ...hope this helps.

Paul Power

Postby Paul Power » 21 Jul 2006, 2:20pm

So almost a month on and nobody seems to have any idea where the money will be spent - or to whom it will be allocated!

As I said in a previous post, West Sussex Fire Brigade our now offering cycle training to school children.

Perhaps this is where the cash is now going?

Forgive my cynical view on this, but this smacks of the similar hype when it comes to the NHS.

Lots of cash going somewhere, but no one seems to know where.

Paul
www.paulpower.co.uk

Paul Power

Postby Paul Power » 24 Feb 2007, 5:42pm

We're now in 2007 and no wiser about where this money is going?

Anyone enlighten us?

Paul Power
www.DutchBikeShop.co.uk

keepontriking

Postby keepontriking » 27 Feb 2007, 7:49pm

Paul Power wrote:We're now in 2007 and no wiser about where this money is going?
Anyone enlighten us?

I agree it would be good to know.
It also seems another £1m has been released for local authorities to spend.

Paul Power

Postby Paul Power » 1 Mar 2007, 2:58pm

Yes, it is interesting that there's much to-do and drum banging when it comes to announcing cash for cycle training. But where's it all going? The funding criteria that I've looked at recently, suggests it's only available to certain groups within our society. Personally I think this is wrong and unfair. How the government say they want more people cycling more of the time when the cash they allocate is only available to some people, some of the time?

Paul

www.Dutchbikeshop.co.uk
www.CycleSchool.co.uk

keepontriking

Postby keepontriking » 12 Mar 2007, 10:16pm

Paul Power wrote:Yes, it is interesting that there's much to-do and drum banging when it comes to announcing cash for cycle training. But where's it all going? The funding criteria that I've looked at recently, suggests it's only available to certain groups within our society. Personally I think this is wrong and unfair.

I cannot agree more.
The support seems to be going to those who have been less than enthusiastic towards cycle training, when perhaps it should go to those who are now really driving forward and investing into the activity themselves.

Meanwhile the introductory post to this Forum states:
"It is meant for discussions between those involved in professional cycle training and for public questions to those professionals."

So the question remains... are we to know where the £15million of public money is going?
The silence is deafening.

Wendy C.

Postby Wendy C. » 29 Mar 2007, 10:19am

One thing that is going through my mind ... how much of that funding is going to CE's PR company they've commissioned now that the CTC has little or no involvement in Bikeability any more ...

Those gearing up would get updates etc. from the CTC who was fronting it for CE during the gearing up period, in the same way as registered NSIs get the i-Contact rather than have direct contact with an independent PR company and it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out which would be the more expensive of the two.

The PR company in question also happens to have won several awards so I very much doubt they come cheap, high profiles tends to equal high costs unless as with the CTC, they are a 'not for profit' organisation or registered charity which these guys definately are not nor are they supported by an army of volunteers!

Wendy