Insurance for Bikeability Trainers

For discussions within the Cycle Training profession.
Posts: 91
Joined: 17 Jan 2007, 4:08pm
Location: Bristol

Insurance for Bikeability Trainers

Postby davebax » 13 Jul 2009, 5:39pm

This question actually applies to anyone using their bike for work (not commuting), but I've been asked it by Bristol's Bikeability trainers. What (if any) insurance is recommended to cover theft, damage, etc to a privately-owned bike whilst working. The bike is an essential part of the job, and is not covered by the employer's insurance. A call to ETA has revealed that they won't cover this eventuality. Are there any companies that will, or is cycling as part of your job seen to be so dangerous as to be uninsurable :?:

Posts: 177
Joined: 21 Oct 2007, 1:07am
Location: Swindon - Home of the Magic Roundabout

Re: Insurance for Bikeability Trainers

Postby adinigel » 16 Jul 2009, 6:34am

3rd party insurance is included with your membership of the CTC. This can be upgraded if you wish to fully comp. I have also seen leaflets in Halfords for cycle insurance.

DSA registered Driving Instructor, RoSPA Diploma in Advanced Car Instruction, SAFED registered van trainer, National Standards Cycling Instructor

User avatar
Posts: 6419
Joined: 14 Dec 2006, 8:48pm

Re: Insurance for Bikeability Trainers

Postby Graham » 18 Jul 2009, 9:44pm

CTC 3rd Party Insurance : ( from )

You are covered while you are
using your cycle for private and
professional purposes, including
business cycling. You will not be
insured if you are specifically
employed as a cyclist e.g. as a
cyclist-messenger or a carrier

. . . but that is only 3rd -party liability . . . .

To get cover for damage and theft you will need to pay for something like Cyclecover ... rent_id=53
You will need to read the policy details carefully to see what is covered and what not.
. . . Other such policies are available : costs & details of cover vary.