Hourly rates

For discussions within the Cycle Training profession.
Ivan the Terrible

Hourly rates

Post by Ivan the Terrible »

How much do people tend to charge when they run a bikeability/national standards course for schools? I have seen cycling trainers asking for £25 per hour but I can't see how that can be achievable.

The local authorities are getting money from the DfT at £40 per pupil and the bikeability course should be 10 hours for 6 pupils run by 2 trainers. That would make it (if i've got my maths correct) £12 per hour for each of the trainers. By making the course 8 hours it would take the hourly rate to £15. Still way off £25.

How do the trainers in this forum operate?
adinigel

Re: Hourly rates

Post by adinigel »

Bikeability is run on a 6:1 ratio ie you only need one trainer for 6 pupils.

Nigel
DSA registered Driving Instructor, RoSPA Diploma in Advanced Car Instruction, SAFED registered van trainer, National Standards Cycling Instructor
Ivan the Terrible

Post by Ivan the Terrible »

Surely that's only during the off-road skills session? On the road there should be 2 trainers? I am aware that the level 2 ratio stated by bikeability is 1:6 but I would be unhappy to have a 2:12 ratio for on-road training.

Am I being over cautious?
adinigel

Post by adinigel »

Ivan the Terrible wrote:Surely that's only during the off-road skills session? On the road there should be 2 trainers? I am aware that the level 2 ratio stated by bikeability is 1:6 but I would be unhappy to have a 2:12 ratio for on-road training.

Am I being over cautious?

No, the offroad skills part can be run on a 1:12 ratio.

Nigel
DSA registered Driving Instructor, RoSPA Diploma in Advanced Car Instruction, SAFED registered van trainer, National Standards Cycling Instructor