County Council Cycle Proficiency Schemes

For discussions within the Cycle Training profession.
farleygirl

County Council Cycle Proficiency Schemes

Post by farleygirl »

This spring I completed the 4 day instructor training and have been helping out in a local school with their county-organised cycling proficiency course .

I find the County council scheme is all geared to Road Safety. It doesn't really teach kids to be cyclists, for instance it doesn't teach them how to use gears. It doesn't conform to the new National Standards eg positioning, they still insist kids keep left 1-2ft from kerb to "avoid kids on bikes causing car road rage".

I want to continue to help in schools but I feel under an obligation to teach to the national standards.

Does anyone have any one have experience of how to pursuade a county council to adopt the NS?
keepontriking

Re:County Council Cycle Proficiency Schemes

Post by keepontriking »

Hello...

That sounds exactly the same as the area in which I work.
I am also a NS instructor as well as an LA one, and am presently working towards encouraging my LA to adopt the NS.
Perhaps you could drop me a private e-mail in case we are in the same County and can then pool resources.
jpb(dot)design(at)virgin(dot)net

Replace brackets with the obvious.
Fin

Post by Fin »

Mention the magic word- LIABILITY!!!
Fin

Post by Fin »

Something else has occured to me. Is there a cycling forum you can attend? It's a great way of having a say in how things are done on a local level and they may well be glad to have someome knowledgeable on National Standards. Don't assume that they know about it.
ANN

Post by ANN »

Can anyone help me, I'm a new OAP,with a new 21gear cycle, a Retirement gift.
I need to find someone in my area, Bassetlaw/Notts. who is willing to train me to be more confident on the road and to get to grips with the gears!.
I contacted the RideWise co-ordinator in Nottinghamshire, but that group only train in Nottingham city area.
I am clearly too old for help from school schemes but would be obliged if one of you could point me in the right direction.
Jennifer

Post by Jennifer »

Ann

ring the cycle training helpline on, 0870 607 0415
L Spyers-Ashby

Local Authority Road Safety v's National Standard

Post by L Spyers-Ashby »

Hi farleygirl

Interested to hear your dilemma.

I work in Casualty Reduction at Northamptonshire County Council as the Cycle Training Co-ordinator. I also deliver NS training alongwith a pool of NS instructors. We've been delivering NS cycle training since Jan 2007 and will be launching Bikeability this Autumn.

I can see no reason for there to be any conflict between the messages being given by Road Safety professionals and the National Standard. Given that LARSOA (Local Authority Road Safety Officer's Association) were involved in it's development, it's hard to understand why at your LA there should be any discrepency. Outcomes taught like road positioning exist to reduce road deaths, they go hand in hand as far as I'm concerned.

I'm pleased to say no such issues exist at Northamptonshire County Council. Why don't you come and join us? I'm currently looking to recruit instructors to deliver NS training to children and adults across Northamptonshire on a casual employed contract basis and I'm stacked out with demand!

You can get my contact details off the Bikeability website. :lol: