Grant for cycle training in South London area

For discussions within the Cycle Training profession.
Fred

Grant for cycle training in South London area

Post by Fred »

Can we use the message board to share knowlege of grants available for cycle training?
I'll get the ball rolling with a success I had this week. Taken me months of work but I managed to get a £2000 grant for my sports club this week from Sweltrac. I can now offer free cycle tuition for members and I get paid out of the grant money.
Fingers crossed for when the Cycle England grants become available.
thirdcrank

Re:Grant for cycle training in South London area

Post by thirdcrank »

Fred

The last person to try and get the ball rolling on here was a chap called Sisyphus, and he didn't get very far either. Mick Agar (Try running in treacle)
Chris P

Post by Chris P »

Great to hear about your success Fred. I've just had a request about cycle training for Asian women in East London (not quite on thread but might be of interest).

The first places to look would be Awards for All (awardsforall.org.uk) and the local CVS who may know about funding opportunities.

I've looked up a couple of trusts who operate in the Tower Hamlets area. There is the St Katharines & Shadwell Trust who disbursed £758,000 in 2004. They also administer the Neighbourhood Renewal Community Chest (another place to look at for small grants).

http://www.skst.org/

A really good possibility for training adult women (if you can prove benefits within 1 mile of Trinity Square) is:

http://www.wakefieldtrust.org.uk/

Let me know if you have any specific projects that you hoping to get funding for in your local area.

Chris (chris.peck@ctc.org.uk)
Jennifer

Post by Jennifer »

Don't forget there is also the £15 million funding to come from Cycling England to provide more cycle training opportunities for children, particularly in areas of deprivation. Whilst we await the final details on how this money will be made available the latest brief is on the ctc website to read. http://www.ctc.org.uk/DesktopDefault.aspx?TabID=4555
Fred

Post by Fred »

Chris,thanks for the info. I did look at the Awards for All website previously but was put off by the need to set up a not for profit company. Something I may look into.
Jennifer, no I haven't forgotten the Cycle England grant and as Tom Cruise once said(Jerry Maguire), show me the money!
Fred

Post by Fred »

Heard today that the first distribution of the Cycling England money is only available to local authorities, not individual instructors.
keepontriking

Post by keepontriking »

That would be very narrow-minded where the local authority will not recognise the National Standards :-(
Jennifer

Post by Jennifer »

Whilst it is a disappointment for individuals and organisations this time around the good news is that more local authorties are recognising the need to delivery national standard cycle training, especially if they are to go on and delivery Bikeability next year.
Jennifer

Post by Jennifer »

What I forgot to say is that although the money can only be applied for by LA's it doesn't necessarily mean that they will be delivering the training. LA's can outsource the delivery of training so this is an ideal opportunity for organisations and individuals to approach their LA to offer their cycle training services. So whilst the money is not going out directly to instructors this is still a great opportunity.
Fred

Post by Fred »

Do we know how the money is being distributed within the London boroughs? Is it just for the LA's?
Jennifer

Post by Jennifer »

Best thing to do is contact TfL directly. I understand it is for LA's only at this stage from TfL .
keepontriking

Post by keepontriking »

What I forgot to say is that although the money can only be applied for by LA's it doesn't necessarily mean that they will be delivering the training. LA's can outsource the delivery of training so this is an ideal opportunity for organisations and individuals to approach their LA to offer their cycle training services.

Done that, got the 'T'-Shirt ... and of course the inevitable response :-(

Cycling England's present funding philosophy is doing little for where the LA is opposed to the NS.

It is in these areas it is where the real struggle is going on, by instructors forever hitting their heads against a brick wall, often at great cost to themselves, and receiving little or no support.
stevew

Post by stevew »

As Far as Bromley is concerned the local council will offer 2 x 1.5 hour lessons FREE with a Nationaly accredited instructor. This can be at any level needed, 1,2 or 3. So this training will suit anybody from someone who cannot ride right through to competent cyclists who want to hone their advanced skills. If any one needs more info please send a PM to; steve.watkin1@btinternet.com