School Cycling Policies

For discussions within the Cycle Training profession.
keepontriking

School Cycling Policies

Postby keepontriking » 28 Mar 2010, 7:11pm

This makes interesting reading.

The following has been put out by a school:

Cycling to School
A reminder to parents about cycling to school.
Children must only cycle to school under the supervision of an adult. It is the responsibility of
parents to ensure that their children cycle under their guidance and care. Hampshire County
Council also stress that they do not recommend that children under the age of 10 cycle on roads as
children of this young age often do not have the maturity to cope with the different situations
presented when using roads.

Children aged 10 and over are able to cycle to school independently with their parents’
permission
, (although the school would prefer children always to ride under the guidance of
parents
), but only if they have completed the Stage 2 cycling training course. If children have
undertaken this training and parents give permission for their children to ride to school
independently, I would like to have this in writing please before children begin riding to school.

Children riding bicycles to school are always the responsibility of their parents. Also, would
parents please ensure that children wear a cycling helmet when riding their bicycles and are wearing
clothing which means they can be seen easily by other people and cyclists. Thank you.
Please note

Under no circumstances other than those already described in the above paragraphs should
children ride their bicycles to school.

Cunobelin

Re: School Cycling Policies

Postby Cunobelin » 28 Mar 2010, 7:22pm

There are some dodgy school runs in Hampshire, but that I suspect is too much to address....... there have also been some interesting battles over cycling to School.

John Holiday

Postby John Holiday » 1 Apr 2010, 2:38pm

Sounds ultra cautious!
Many other authorities who are making an effort to get children trained to ride, can see that the potential benefits outweigh the perceived risks.

drossall

Postby drossall » 1 Apr 2010, 11:51pm

If:

Children riding bicycles to school are always the responsibility of their parents

then I'm not quite sure on what basis the Council can make these rules?

hamster

Postby hamster » 4 May 2010, 5:12pm

My son is about to move up to a Hants Junior school with this policy.

It's the typical fear of litigation story. As the children are under the responsibility of parents when they leave the confines of the school it's a bit academic anyway.

The biggest danger is the parents' driving. I nearly got doored while riding the school run on the tandem, plus some other incidents of the "sorry, I didn't have the presence of mind to actually look before moving my 4x4" variety... :roll:

charlytango

Postby charlytango » 5 May 2010, 9:51pm

fao Hamster

You should've been riding in primary position! That's what National Standards/Bikeability teaches/instructs. Primary position is a car doors width away from parked cars. How would you know that if you've not done a course. A constant bug bear that there's no feedback given to parents so that they can understand what their children have learned. Ah well

CT

rbrian

Postby rbrian » 6 May 2010, 12:27am

It doesn't seem like that long ago (only 15 years) that I cycled to school in Hampshire, with no guidelines so far as I knew. Has all this fear of litigation appeared in that short time? When did it begin?
Cynic? No, an optimist tempered by experience.

bobkerry

Postby bobkerry » 20 Jun 2010, 10:43pm

well done and a good piece of work in order to make the lives of children protected and safe....
parents should now try to make their children's life best and protected...
guide them propelry while riding so that they can have safe ride