Cancellation fees

For discussions within the Cycle Training profession.
Fred

Cancellation fees

Postby Fred » 23 Nov 2006, 6:01pm

I'm interested to know what local authorities pay when a school decides to cancel a course at short notice. Wandsworth council cancelled the course I had booked this week and will pay me 50% of what I would have earned as I had less than 24 hours notice. Also, got cancelled last week but I had over 24 hours notice so got paid nothing.

keepontriking

Re:Cancellation fees

Postby keepontriking » 23 Nov 2006, 11:15pm

Cancellation fees should really be part of your own Terms and Conditions. It is not for the client to dictate the way you run your business, although some flexibility on the side of the 'service provider' may often be beneficial.

Paul Power

Postby Paul Power » 25 Nov 2006, 9:35am

Fred, why were the courses cancelled?

Paul

www.paulpower.co.uk
www.cyclingschool.co.uk

Fred

Postby Fred » 26 Nov 2006, 9:03am

Schools decided to cancel due to lack of numbers. Since spoken to Merton council. They pay instructors in full if course is cancelled with less than 2 weeks notice.This seems very fair.

Paul Power

Postby Paul Power » 28 Nov 2006, 5:23pm

Hi Fred,

Think it's a bit unfair to cancel the course with less than 24 hours warning. Were it me, I'd bill them for the full course.

Keepontriking is right in that you should really cover this in your terms and conditions.

Problem is of course that most councils will only accept you if you agree to their terms and conditions.

Why not suggest they either pay you in full for the course, or pay you half now on the basis they agree to re-run the course in some future date?

Obviously they could be a good client in the future and you don't really want to get their backs up at this stage.

all the best

Paul Power
www.paulpower.co.uk
www.cycleschool.co.uk

BOUNCINGNRG

Postby BOUNCINGNRG » 22 Apr 2008, 5:44pm

Fred,

Cancellation fee are there for you, i work for a Tour Opperator and the cancelation fees that we charge are a major % in the business income.

If i was you i would charge 100% for cancelation within 7 days, the reason for this would be that you would rearly be able to fill that gap in 7 days.