yell.com / yellow pages listing

For discussions within the Cycle Training profession.
Jennifer

yell.com / yellow pages listing

Postby Jennifer » 27 Nov 2006, 3:28pm

It has been suggested that CTC approach the yellow pages to request a new classification of cycle training to be listed. If we were to do this would you be interested and would you consider making a payment for this?

keepontriking

Re:yell.com / yellow pages listing

Postby keepontriking » 27 Nov 2006, 4:01pm

Simple line entries are free in YP, so basically you are really asking whether Instructors would pay for Display Advertising in YP if there were a specific category.

I would question doing this. Why? If you wanted a Cycle Instructor where is the first place you would look or contact?
I don't think YP would be high on my list.

stinningspan

Postby stinningspan » 27 Nov 2006, 6:09pm

KOT :- If you wanted a Cycle Instructor where is the first place you would look or contact?

Where indeed - I would look to the yellow pages. Your LA is for bin emptying bins and paying councillors expenses why would a non cycling member of the public call the LA.

I think the YP is a good place to start - even if there is only one entry that points to the LA.

As far as I am aware, my LA only provides training for schools. I have several cycling friends who have never heard of the CTC so where do you find out about cycle training ? Is the YP such a daft suggestion ?

I do of course lay myself open to somebody pointing me to a blatantly obvious source of all such information :-)

thirdcrank

Postby thirdcrank » 27 Nov 2006, 8:29pm

Jennifer

One problem with the Yellow Pages and similar is that they are constantly cold-calling to try to get you increase the size of your ad. You also get phone companies ringing to sell you a new phone network. Until recently, I was a volunteer at a very small Advice UK centre. It can get so constant that it interferes with normal phone use. Because it is a business line, you cannot use the TPS I believe.

Fred

Postby Fred » 27 Nov 2006, 8:49pm

Jennifer, seems a good idea to me and would be happy to pay for entry.

keepontriking

Postby keepontriking » 27 Nov 2006, 10:22pm

Is the YP such a daft suggestion ?

No, it most certainly is notdaft. It is a very sensible one, and one I've made to YP on several occasions.
If there were a Category then any instructor can have a free entry anyway - I already have an entry in YP but it is presently under another section so its difficult to find :-((

However any free advertising would be more than welcome and if a Category header were introduced - great. It would certainly help, but as with all expenditure I'd need convincing it was value-for-money and better than other advertising channels before buying a Display Advertisement.

When deciding where to place paid advertising it is important to try and reach your target market for best results and lowest cost. Knowing where clients seek information is sought is very important.
I have a pretty good idea of where my clients look and who they approach, and its not presently YP.

At the moment the idea is a good one, but my pennies are firmly still in my pocket.

keepontriking

Postby keepontriking » 27 Nov 2006, 10:59pm

I do of course lay myself open to somebody pointing me to a blatantly obvious source of all such information :-)

Key 'Cycle Training' into Google?

Paul Power

Postby Paul Power » 28 Nov 2006, 5:31pm

yellow pages is old hat. Wouldn't advertise or even look in this publication. The only successful use I can see for it is that it acts as a great door-stop to keep doors open when you're moving house.....or in the office...

What you must remember about cycle training is that you're selling a concept. You first need to sell the concept of cycle training en mass, before you'll see any sort of return on directory advertising.

What we need are lots of press releases showing how cycle training can improve people's riding etc and then work on convering those to sales.

In my humble opinion A simple ad in the yellow pages ain't going to do very much.

We're building up a good customer base solely on the basis of targetted marketing.

Passive yellow page ads are really old-style.

The forward thinking market you want to target and sell to is on the internet.

I also detest yellow pages for being so un-eco friendly.

Who needs these great directory books when you can surf the net?

Paul
www.paulpower.co.uk
www.Dutchbikeshop.co.uk

tina

Postby tina » 15 Jan 2007, 1:34pm

A cycle Instructor entry in yellow pages would be good.
I have a free listing under sports training - which is hardly likely to be found!

www.yell.com is a good source of company information and I amongst others often use it. I agree that the paper directory is old hat now.

Not sure I could yet justify paying for a larger entry than the simple free one yet....

tina

Postby tina » 12 Feb 2007, 3:00pm

I sent a message to Yell having had a marketing call from them where the marketeer suggested that I contacted them. message I received in response is included below.

So perhaps if a few others out there contacted them.....

Tina.

----------------------------------------------------
Dear Miss Walker

Thank you for your email.

I have forwarded your original email to our classifications department,
they may be able to set up a new classification relating to Cycle
Instructors.

Kind Regards,
Yell Customer Service Team
Cycle training: www.cycleinstructor.co.uk
Sport Stevenage:www.sportstevenage.co.uk
CTC:www.stevenagectc.org.uk

keepontriking

Postby keepontriking » 12 Feb 2007, 10:06pm

tina wrote:So perhaps if a few others out there contacted them.....

I have.
Ever since, at fairly regular intervals, I receive a call from them trying to persuade me to take advertising. When I point out they should have a cycle training section they always feign ignorance of the activity, then say "they will look into it".

I suspect I receive a call everytime a new person takes on the roll as a junior tele-marketeer, enticed by too-good-to-be-true commission rates :(

Paul Power

So why bother

Postby Paul Power » 14 Feb 2007, 1:27pm

This is Yellow Pages doing what it does best - ie, mass telesales with no real interest as to whether or not the business advertising actually gets business from them. Clearly they don't believe that there is a market for Cycle Training in their Directory, which is why they haven't created a sub classification.

If you really want to go out there and promote cycle training then do as we do - which is to direct mail to schools, local businesses etc and operating an information stand at various times and points thorughout our own area.

Also when you're out there giving your lessons start handing out flyers and always ask your existing customers for referral business.

Nothing beats being proactive. Place an ad in the yellow pages and you might as well give up.

Cycle training needs to be sold. People need to hear the benefits, again and again and again. Problem with this business at the moment is that as soon as you mention cycle training most people think - cycle proficiency. So we need to change people's perceptions.

On a positive note, it would be far better for us all to book a space outside your local supermarket or even Halfords and sell/promote your cycle training business there.

Finally, a plug for my book - The Kitchen Table Entrepreneur, which is full of advice on how to market your kitchen table business on a shoe string...

Available from Amazon or all good bookshops.

All the best

Paul Power
www.Dutchbikeshop.co.uk
www.cycleschool.co.uk

Wendy C.

Postby Wendy C. » 28 Mar 2007, 3:22am

I am also listed in YP on a free entry but like John, it is under another heading, I was given the choice and think it appears under training services or something like that, amidst all the IT trainers and driving schools and things!

Wendy

GeoffL

Postby GeoffL » 28 Mar 2007, 6:31am

thirdcrank wrote:It can get so constant that it interferes with normal phone use. Because it is a business line, you cannot use the TPS I believe.

Not so. In fact small businesses now have more protection than residential subscribers - should they wish it. Corporate TPS is your friend. IIRC, it's a £5,000 fine for cold-calling a business that's registered.

HTH,

Geoff