trainer ideas

For discussions within the Cycle Training profession.
wheneverican

trainer ideas

Post by wheneverican »

I am a bikeability instructor, qualified earlier this year, and getting experience session by session. I have so far completed two level 2 courses over 5 saturdays and am currently taking three courses (2 after school and 1 on a saturday morning) - all for year 6 children (10 / 11 year olds)

I had my first post course assessment recently and all was very positive with a few comments that i want to address and maybe someone will be able to advise further..

Group control - whilst one child is being coached there are up to 5 others watching. Any thoughts on how to engage them fully in the lesson when, after school especially, they are tired and more "playful"

Riding in a group - after I am happy they know the rules of the road and have practised over taking cars on very quiet roads we go to other local training areas involving either a long bike push or an group ride. I opt for the group ride, still local and not far. Any comments on how people undertake group riding and what preparation they go through with the children prior to leaving. I appreciate that group riding is not part of Bikeability but it is a useful tool to master in order to maximise "on the road time". I do put training signs up to make drivers aware.

Are there any books people would recommend that cover these aspects, I have read CycleCraft of course and take on board everything in but there is no harm in seeking more ideas.

Any thoughts welcome
Thanks
Simon
charlytango

Re: trainer ideas

Post by charlytango »

Hi

Riding in a group, from your post it sounds like you're doing it by yourself.

Really needs to be two instructors 'to snake' safely -one at the front and one at the back.

CT
wheneverican

Re: trainer ideas

Post by wheneverican »

Yes I do teach alone to a max of 6 children for Level 2.
I find with a planned, risk assessed route then 6 children who have covered a few sessions of Bikeability can cope well with cycling together. I ride at the back and put a stronger child at the front and leave only a small gap in between. We stop every 100 metres or so. We are talking about 30mph max roads here with low traffic levels.
At the end of the session they normally cycle home alone or in groups with no adult in front so my concerns over an adult riding up front in the session is that they simply follow and dont look for themselves.
Group riding is not part of the Bikeability sylabus but to get children to push bikes to the next training location when riding together is an option seems a waste of time and experience for them.

Do you teach? What is your experience? Bikeability?