Helping with a instructer

For discussions within the Cycle Training profession.
zig02

Helping with a instructer

Postby zig02 » 16 Jul 2010, 3:11am

Hi,just wondering if anyone has some advice on whether it would be worth trying to find an instructer or instructers who would like some help when they are teaching large groups etc(I'm in the Forest of Dean by the way :roll: ).The reason i ask is so that i could get some experience and also an insight into the things i would need to consider if i decided to bite the bullet and sign up for the whole training package.Thanks in advance
Craig

John Holiday

Re: Helping with a instructor

Postby John Holiday » 20 Jul 2010, 12:03pm

Try contacting a local Instructor from the CTC list.
The only problem might be that if the Instructor is working in schools, the Local Authority will expect CRB checks etc.
The other possibility might be to contact Cycle Experience or other similar providers in your area who may be able to give you a 'taster'.
Have been providing training for over eighteen months now & whilst I wouldn't want to do it every day, have enjoyed getting children to improve their handling & road skills.

mr_cellophane

Re: Helping with a instructor

Postby mr_cellophane » 29 Jul 2010, 11:14pm

I wrote to all the councils in north east London asking to be allowed to observe and/or help with sessions in order to build up my experience. Most have been more than helpful.
If you have not got a CRB then it is unlikely you would be allowed to assist directly, but you will certainly find one willing to let you watch.