Self Employed Instructor

For discussions within the Cycle Training profession.
mr_cellophane

Self Employed Instructor

Post by mr_cellophane »

If I were to become self employed and contract to one of the various larger companies who provide training for local councils, what could I claim against tax ?
Obviously at least one bicycle and the maintenance of it, but could I claim; general cycle clothes (obviously not full lycra gear), shoes, helmet, lights, a second bike, maintenance tools, etc ? and non-bike stuff; mobile phone, computer, internet, etc
adinigel

Re: Self Employed Instructor

Post by adinigel »

The best person to answer this would be an accountant. Ring a couple of local ones - some will offer a free initial consultation. Things like phone computer etc are likely to be a proportion relating to the split between personal and business use
DSA registered Driving Instructor, RoSPA Diploma in Advanced Car Instruction, SAFED registered van trainer, National Standards Cycling Instructor
mountainman531

Post by mountainman531 »

You don't need to employ an accountant, HMRC are very helpful and they run courses to help peopel complete their tax returns and they tell you what expenses you can claim and how to work out the proportion of business use.
xpc316e

Post by xpc316e »

I used to be a self-employed trainer delivering driver training to companies. I used to claim a proportion of all my motoring expenses against tax, along with money for lighting and heating my home office, computer, etc. I found that my accountant used to charge very little, compared to how much he saved me.
Riding a Dahon Jetstream P9 folder, an early 90s Vision R30 above seat steered recumbent, and the latest acquisition, a Haibike Sduro Trekking 4.0 electric bike.
Steve Kish

Post by Steve Kish »

Self Employed Rule 1 = claim everything!
Self Employed Rule 2 = expect some
Self Employed Rule 3 = get a decent accountant to bridge the gap as much as possible twixt the two!!
Self Employed Rule 4 = under no circumstances do your own self-assesment!!!!

Steve Kish
Self Employed since 1994.

BTW, I love this bit:-
HMRC are very helpful
:mrgreen:
Old enough to know better but too young to care.